cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Ver 2 and VTP Ver 3? VTP Password encript?

abhi-adte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

1) Please share if any one know about different between VTP Ver 3 and VTP Ver 2 ?

2) How we can encript the VTP password?

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Regarding the differences between VTPv2 and VTPv3, there are many. I suggest reading the article referenced below. It covers the differences very nicely although it is concerned with CatOS, not IOS. The Configuration Guides for your current version of software on your switches will provide you with ample guidance as to how shall the VTPv3 be configured on your devices.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/solution_guide_c78_508010.html

To sum the differences briefly, the VTPv3 is able to distribute information about extended range VLANs, private VLANs, provides protection against unwanted overwriting of the VLAN database by a switch with a higher revision number, and is even able to synchronize MSTP region configuration throughout your VTP domain.

The VTP password can be, to my best knowledge, encrypted only for VTPv3 using the command vtp password password hidden in the global configuration mode. After entering this command, the password will be stored in an encrypted format in the vlan.dat file and even the show vtp password command will be unable to reveal the original plaintext version.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Piter I just check and Revert you shortly.   

Hey in Vtp Ver 2 and 1 both of in password hidden command is not support.

If it possible link any patch through we can upgrade the VTP Ver. without IOS suppuration.

If IOS upgradation require pls suggest which IOS require.    

How I secure the VTP configuration from client Switch because client can change the vtp

configuration due to it's problem occur..

any thing like possible if VTP configuration time switch ask the password or like any alternate option.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card