Show ip bgp output - Help

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got this example:

r2# show ip bgp 10.5.0.1
BGP routing table entry for  10.5.0.0/16, version 11
Paths: (2 available, best #1, table  Default-IP-Routing-Table)
  Advertised to non peer-group peers:
    192.168.30.4 (metric 74) from 3.3.3.3  (3.3.3.3)
      Origin IGP, metric 100, localpref 100, valid,  internal, best
    192.168.20.4 from 192.168.20.4  (4.4.4.4)
      Origin IGP, metric 200, localpref 100, valid,  external

Can someone please help me understand why there are two metric values for the same network? Which one would I look at when considering paths taken when looking at metrics?

I've tried searching but I'm not gettting very far.

Thanks in advance

Dan

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

I could not find this output in the documentation neither and this got me pretty surprised. Please try to go over these questions:

Can you perhaps find out where do the values 74 and 100 come from? Are there any route-maps that set these values?

Is perhaps the network redistributed from an IGP into the BGP?

Is it possible that you are receiving the route with a particular MED value and you are rewriting it to another value?

Are you using soft-reconfiguration?

Also, can you please post the configuration of your BGP process here? The show ip route and show ip bgp output would also be helpful.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi

To be honest I copied and pasted an example I found on the web, I just wanted an example that would have the metric statements in. I'm looking for what they mean and why they differ for each network entry, in fact sometimes there not even there.

Additionally for the entry with 192.168.30, I can see that it states "Origin IGP" but also states "internal", what do the two refer to? Also when looking at another "show ip bgp" output:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1551/imagebmp.png

does the "Orgin IGP" refer to the "i" in the first column in the picture or the "i" in the path statement?

Thanks

Dan

Hi

I posted this on the weekend so probably not the best time to ask.

Could someone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance

Dan

does the "Orgin IGP" refer to the "i" in the first column in the picture or the "i" in the path statement?

The first "i" refers to the neighbor type (prefer eBGP over iBGP) and the "i" under the Path refers to the Origin (prefer i over E and E over ?)

aman.jhuti
Level 1
Level 1

74 is the IGP metric for 192.168.30.4 whereas 100 is the BGP metric for  10.5.0.1.  10.5.0.1 has got two metrics - 100 and 200. Lower metric is preferred and as the result the first route is the preferred route.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: