cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L-UC-PRO-8 + UC540 Licensing Issue

Marcus Olson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a uc540 that i'm trying to apply an additional 8 users to yet when trying to apply the additional user lic file it suggests that it's a downgrade to what's already installed, which is the default 16 users.  Any ideas? I followed the instructions on the emailed license file to a tee.

6 Replies 6

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Marcus,

If you are getting a message when trying to install an upgrade that says it is a downgrade, it normally means that the total license count in the license file you have is lower than the number of licenses already installed on the system.  First of all, the UC540 comes with a standard of 8 user licenses.  You can check what is currently installed by telneting into the UC540 and looking at the output of the following command:  show license all

It will show you which licenses are "active" and the number installed.   You can then compare that number to the number listed in you license file that was email to you.  If you open the license file in notepad, or a text editor, look for the following text:  xx    where "xx" will be the total number of licenses this file will upgrade to.   In a normal 8 user upgrade, you "xx" number should be 8 higher than your current licenses installed on the UC540.

If this is not the case, I would suggest that you contact your Cisco Rep, or the support department at 1-866-606-1866.

Thank you,

Darren

My appologies I meant I have a uc560. Being you buy the licenses in 8packs unlike the uc520's where you bought a 64 user upgrade, etc wouldn't the license file always be less than what's installed.  I would think you would be appending 8 to whatever existing.

Marcus,

I understand your thinking, and it would seem logical, but the "count" in the license file should always be 8 more than what is currently on the UC560, or it will not upgrade.  Just the way they decided to do the licensing for the UC540 and UC560.

And you are correct, the UC560 does come with a default of 16 licenses.

Thank you,

Darren

But unless i'm mistaken you can only buy the lic upgrades 8 at a time, so how would you get to say 24 users on a uc560? I bought the uc560 then a 8 user lic.  I received the electronic lic file, went through the steps it listed then couldn't apply the file.  Do I need to manually modify the lic file to say 24.  Is this a honor system like Microsoft does with exchange seats?

When you log in to activate the license, by entering your information, including the serial number of the UC560, it accesses a database which stores the total number of licenses currently issued for that unit, and then adds 8, and emails you the updated license file with the correct count for your upgrade.

Modifiying the count in the file will not work.  I don't know the details of the license file itself, but I believe the count text in the file is just to be able to visually see the information.  The total license count is also in the coding below, which can not be modified...  At least by human that I know.

Sorry, I guess we do not use the honor system here...  

Thank you,

Darren

Ok, my guess is I did something wrong in the activation process.  I do have like 28 ephones , is it possible it's not working because i'm over my allotment?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: