Views
Helpful
Replies

7941 Stuck in Upgrading

abrashic
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently change from CCME 4.1 up to

8.0 and was having an issue with a 7941 phone load.  Thought was to factory reset the

unit so that it pulls the latest load form the CCME term41.default.loads.

The factory reset procedure works fine but when it goes to reboot I get the following:

1)MAC address shows up

2)Upgrading prompt shows up

3)Pulled DCHP address shows up

4)Phone stuck in Upgrading

The unit gets its DHCP address from the CCME router but never asks for the term41.default.loads.

I have packet sniffed teh line adn once teh DHCP handoff is made no other traffic comes from the phone other that a semi periodic CDP push.

Any thoughts?

Alex

4 Replies 4

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Are you going to upgrade the load?

From which version to which version?

Can you upload the packet capture so I can take a look

Also check TFTP debug

Thanks

Just left the office for a week of vacation. 

Phone was at 8.2(1) and with CCME 8.0 the upgrade goes to 8.5(4)

As far as the capture goes, there is not much to see.  I will attach it when I can.  I have had debug tftp events on and nothing from that and it is also the same on wireshark...nothing.  When a working phone is reset, I do see the TFPT debog login prompts show up.

One strange item:

I disabled the router at the DHCP sever and used tftp32 as my laptop with Option 150 turned on.  With wireshark on, I could see the 7941 broadcasting a DHCP request and tftp32 answering....but the 7941 would ignore the response and keeps broadcasting a DHCP request.  When I turn the DHCP back on in the router, the 7941 gets its address but stops doing anything once the address is received.  It seems almost as if the phone is not recognizing its TFTP server address and never starts requesting its default load.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Alex,

Have you tried a pre 8.5.2 firmware?? To get to 9.x or 8.5.3 (4) you must

step through 8.5.2

Firmware Upgrade Issues for SCCP

Note For all SCCP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to version 8.5(2)SR1 or greater, you must first upgrade your firmware to version 8.5(2). Once you have upgraded to version 8.5(2), you can upgrade your IP Phone to version 8.5(2)SR1 or later.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_5_2/english/release/notes/7900_852SR1.html#wp164599

Cheers!
Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Rob,

Have been trying to reload a pre 8.5.2 load.  For what ever reason, the phone does not boot properly and never tries to TFTP to the server.  Maybe when I plugged it into the upgraded system without going through the 8.5.2 load, the upgrade process screwed up something within the phone boot sequence.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: