Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage and Cisco Mobile for Blackberry

KRISHNA K V
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have deployed CUMA 7.1(3)  and tested the features with Cisco Mobile for iPhone and Nokia Phone. I have used Cisco ASA in this deployment. Now i want to test with Cisco Mobile for Blackberry. I need more clarity with respect to Blackberry deployment.

1. Since we are using variety of handset like iphone, nokia and Blackberry, is Blackberry Enterprise Server with MDS is really requried if we use ASA?

2. If Blackberry Enterprise server with MDS is requried where will the connection terminate if we establish a connection from Cisco Mobile for Blackberry. I am asking this question because in the CUMA server we have mentioned the Proxy host name which will terminate in ASA. So is there any special configuration required for Blackberry.

3. I have already deployed the Verisign certificate in the ASA. Do we need to Deploy any other certificate for Blackberry Deployment?

Please let me know your valuble answers.

Regards

Krishna

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

When using MDS, all internet traffic was proxyed by MDS.

On BB, you enter the FQDN or IP address of the CUMA server.  Your MDS will proxy the traffic to CUMA.

Michael

View solution in original post

It's probably your CUMC client does not trust the certificate of the Exchange server.  Try to change IMAP to 143 from Exchange.  Then use the same on CUMC.

Michael

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

1. Since we are using variety of handset like iphone, nokia and  Blackberry, is Blackberry Enterprise Server with MDS is really requried  if we use ASA?

Answer: Per http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cumc/7_1/english/BlackBerry/Cisco_Mobile_BB_71_RN.html#wp42159, ASA is not required, while MDS is required.

2. If Blackberry Enterprise server with MDS is  requried where will the connection terminate if we establish a  connection from Cisco Mobile for Blackberry. I am asking this question  because in the CUMA server we have mentioned the Proxy host name which  will terminate in ASA. So is there any special configuration required  for Blackberry.

Answer: Blackberry connection teminated on MDS server.  The traffic may or may not go through ASA.  But it has to terminated on MDS.  You should talk to a BES/MDS engineer regarding "Enterprise Activation".  Of course, ASA should open all the ports required by "Enterprise Activation".

3. I have already deployed the Verisign  certificate in the ASA. Do we need to Deploy any other certificate for  Blackberry Deployment?

The certificate on ASA was not used by Blackberry.  If there's any certificate required, that would be on MDS.  Again, talk to a BES/MDS guy.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Hi Michael  Thanks for your response. What will be the proxy host name on black berry clients.if the connection should terminate in blackberry server. If I enter the same proxy name the connection will terminate in ASA.

When using MDS, all internet traffic was proxyed by MDS.

On BB, you enter the FQDN or IP address of the CUMA server.  Your MDS will proxy the traffic to CUMA.

Michael

Hi Michael  Thanks a lot for clarifying my doubt. I will try this and let you know. Also in iPhone mobile communicator the voicemail status is showing as disabled. But I could see voice mail indication in iPhone. But when I try to play the message it will never play. Please let me know if you come across any solution for this. Voicemail adapter in Cuna server passed without any error. But still not able to play voicemail. The imap in exchange is configured secure mode.

What version is the CUMC on your iPhone?  Is it 7.1.3 or 8.0?  They are actually two different software.

CUMC 7.1.3 works like anyother platforms (Nokia, WinMobile, BB).

Cisco Mobile 8.0 works like a dual-mode phone (WiFi and GSM).

Michael

I am using Cumc for iPhone not the cisco mobile 8.0.

HI Michael,

I am not using Cisco Mobile 8.0. I am using Cisco Mobile Communicator for iPhone. In this everything works except Voicemail. I am not able to play voice mail. Connection Status to Voicemail Shows as Disabled.

Regards

Krishna.

I'm confused.  Your previous post said you were using Cisco Mobile 8.0.

Michael

Hi Michael,

There are two applicaitons in the Apple Appstore.

1. Cisco Mobile, a Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator Application.

2. Cisco Mobile 8.0

I am using the first one. The FAQ for Cisco Mobile is in the link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cumc/7_1/english/iphone/user/guide/CiscoMobileFAQ_chapter1.html.

I have not used Cisco Mobile 8.0 for this setup since it is not mentioned as Mobile Communicator Application.

Regards

Krishna.

Which port you configured for voicemail IMAP?  It has to be 7993.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I am using Cisco Unity. As per the document the port has to be

• For Cisco Unity Connection: Enter 7993

• For Cisco Unity:

◦ If Transport Type is TCP: Default is 143.

If Transport Type is TLS: Default is 993 

Since IMAP is secured i am using the port 993. With the same configuration i am able to access voicemail from CUPC. But i am not able to play the voicemail from Mobile Communicator.

Regards

Krishna.

It's probably your CUMC client does not trust the certificate of the Exchange server.  Try to change IMAP to 143 from Exchange.  Then use the same on CUMC.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Do we need to configure any certificates exchange between CUMA Server and Exchange   for this to work with port 993. The customer will not allow to change it to non secure port.

Regards

Krishna.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: