Views
Helpful
Replies

Hello everyone

joealbergo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have been away for summer break but I am now back in school.

I was hoping someone could link me to or explain to me - the major differences in the American and European communication speeds.

Why are they so different? What is the difference, is it just the way they are named?

Thanks everyone.

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Joseph ,

I would like to explorer some more so that it will helpful to understand or may you get some different answer.

Please find the attachment , May be it will explorer on both standard.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi Joseph

If any one can answer that why two people can't have 100% similar opinion ?

North American Digital Signal Hierarchy

The North American signal hierarchy was created by the old US 'Bell system' (AT&T) in the early 1960's and was the world's first digital voice system. It is based on multiples of the DS0 signal with a little bit of overhead to show its age. The fiendishly cunning Europeans who waited longer to define a digital hierarchy were able to live without the small overhead largely due to improved electronics.

The signal hierarchy defines the levels of multiplexing, that is, the first level of the hierarchy multiplexes (combines) a number of DS0s into a single digital signal (with a DSx designator) which is then placed on a carrier (with a T-x designator). The DSx defines an abstract signal or speed and the T-x defines a physical 'pipe' or format. The DSx and T-x series specs and most other telecom related specifications are standardized by the ANSI accredited Committee T1 (T1E1), now part of Alliance for Telecommunications Industry solutions - ATIS, which in turn represents, via the US State Department, the US at ITU standard sessions

European Digital Signal Hierarchy

The fiendish Europeans left the US to blaze the digital voice trail, so when they came standardize things they could forget all this 'frame separator' stuff. Euro Telecom standards are defined by CEPT (a Euro Telecom 'club'). Here in all its glory is the super simple European hierarchy. Again all based on our good friend, the ever popular, 64,000 bit DS0

For More Detail : Please refer the below link.

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/data_rates.htm

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Chetan

Thank you for your reply - ironically enough, I had read the same website prior to posting my question.

I understand what they placed on the site about the DS0 and what not but was looking for a different answer.

However I have rated your response extremely helpful and appreciate your time and knowledge.

Joe

Hi Joseph ,

I would like to explorer some more so that it will helpful to understand or may you get some different answer.

Please find the attachment , May be it will explorer on both standard.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card