Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading a SUP720 - TFTP problem

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community,

I have tried to update a SUP720 with a new IOS image.

Also I use tftpd32. But this doesn't work. I check to ping the TFTP server and this works finde. But when I try to connect there comes a timeout because it can't find the IOS image. But this IS on the TFTP directory.

I work with Windows Vista.

Any help for me ? Is there any requirement for the SUP720 ?

Thanks

Udo

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maybe you forgot to enter the filename extension.

No, I copy and paste the filename ..

Can you post the full command please?

Hi,

here it ist. I uncomment the IP address because is it one of our customer.

So you can be sure I can ping the tftp server (y.y.y.y)

LAN-Switch-left#copy tftp: sup-bootdisk:
Address or name of remote host []? x.x.x.x
Source filename []? s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin
Destination filename [s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin]?
Accessing tftp://y.y.y.y/s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin...
%Error opening tftp://y.y.y.y/s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin (Timed out)
LAN-Switch-left#ping y.y.y.y

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to y.y.y.y, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Community,

I have tried to update a SUP720 with a new IOS image.

Also I use tftpd32. But this doesn't work. I check to ping the TFTP server and this works finde. But when I try to connect there comes a timeout because it can't find the IOS image. But this IS on the TFTP directory.

I work with Windows Vista.

Any help for me ? Is there any requirement for the SUP720 ?

Thanks

Udo

Hi Udo,

Check out the attachment for ios upgarde for sup 720 with stepd in brief

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi,

thank you for the document.

This ist really nice but doesn't explain the TFTP step where I have the problem.

So please can you also tell me if I have redundant supervisors (SUP720) what does it mean with "bootflash" and "sup-bootflash" ?

Does this refere to the active and standby supervisor ?

Thanks

Udo

Hey Udo,

Your problem here may be related to the  size of the file you're trying to transfer.  At times TFTP does not work  well with larger files.  Can you try to use FTP instead, i.e. 'copy  ftp: sup-bootdisk:'?  Please also check your 'sup-bootdisk' directoy to make sure you have enough available space to accommodate the image.

As far as your quesitons about the file system designation, 'bootflash' refers to the active SUP's RP (route processor) while 'sup-bootflash' or 'sup-bootdisk' are the active SUP's SP (switch processor).  For standby SUPs, you will see a 'slave' designation that precedes these, i.e. 'slavebootflash' or 'slavesup-bootdisk'.

Let me know what you find in testing FTP instead.  Hope this helps.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

you are right. The problem seems to be relating to the limitation of TFTP.

About FTP this should be a solution. The only one I should configure is the "ip ftp username xx" and "ip ftp password xx" ?!

About the filesystem destination. This is very interested.

So the image should copied to the 'sup-bootflash' or 'sup-bootdisk' and this is the SP ?!

Can you tell me any document on the cisco side which explains the filesystems ...! Sometimes this is confused..;-)

Thanks and I will try it this or next week.

Regards

Udo

Hey Udo,

For the FTP transfer, I would leave out the 'ip ftp username' and 'ip ftp password' configuration for now.  This can cause connection problems and by default, the router will attempt anonymous FTP if not configured.  Because you are able to ping your FTP server, connectivity shouldn't be an issue but if you run into additional problems, you may need to specify the source-interface for FTP transfers using 'ip ftp source-interface'.  I would leave this out for now as well, though, until you can test initially.

As far as the file systems, I searched for a document that may explain these but unfortunately wasn't able to locate one.  You are correct, though.  The images should be copied to sup-bootflash/bootdisk: (and slavesup-bootflash/bootdisk: if a redundant SUP is present) or an external flash card slot (i.e. slot0:, disk0:, etc.).  The SUP boots up in the following order -

1) SP tries to load the image.  If successful, we pass ownership to the RP.

2) RP tries to load the image.

For that reason, when the SP comes up, it cannot see the file systems on the RP (MSFC), which in this case would be just 'bootflash:' or 'slavebootflash:', because the RP is not up at that point.  We must place the images in a file system that the SP has access to so that it can load them.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Right.  Got another option for you.

Sup720 has at least one CF flash.  If you have a spare CF, no greater than 2Gb in size, put the IOS into it from the client and insert the CF into the blade.

Make sure that before you use the CF, it has to be formatted by the supervisor card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: