Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk between a 3750 stack and a 3550

KavehSheikh_2
Level 1
Level 1

I am sure sombody else has encountered this before:

I have stack of 5 x 3750 switches configured with several VLANs, no issues. (VTP is set to Server on this stack)

I also have an older 3550 which has a trunk interface conneciting to the 3750 stack. (VTP is set to Client on this switch)

When I add a new VLAN on the 3750 stack, I don't see this update propagate to the 3750. No VLAN pruning going on. Here is the config. (Note that the VLAN in question is VLAN 888, no showing in the VTP Client (3550). Infact there are several VLANs not showing on the Client.

On 3750 stack (VTP SERVER):

Sh int trunk:

Port                Vlans allowed and active in management domain
Gi1/0/49            1,10,20,30,40,50,60,66,70,80,88,90,100,105,110,200,300,400,600,800-801,888,900

On 3550 (VTP CLIENT):
Sh int trunk:

Port      Vlans allowed and active in management domain
Gi0/1     1,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,100,105,200,400,600,800-801

Am I supposed to manually add vlans to the trunk on a VTP Client? sine the Server is already allowing the VLAN on the trunk interface, I assume the manual add should be in the client trunk interface (?) Can somone provide the command line configuration? Most importantly mI need to avoid any outages. Will the change create an outage?

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post

1) "sh vlan brief" from the stack and the 3550

2) sh run from the 3750 and the 3550

Jon

For some reason I cannot log on to COO anymore. I just reset my pass. I will upload the configs as soon as I reset my pass, but it seems problematic (?)

Ok thanks Jon. The information you requested in attached.

Note the trunk in question is on port Gi0/1 on the Access switch and on 1/0/49 port on the core switch.

Also the VLAn 888 showing on the ACCESS switch was manually created in the troubleshooting process, but ot really doesnt worlk. As you will see, some of the VLANs are are not being 'learened' by the the client.

Thanks

Can you also post show vtp status from both switches.

Thanks.

JayaKrishna

Here you go below (Note: I am aware of VTP version mismatch, and the Access switch does generate a log every now and then about this, but based on my understanding this is not the root cause. I read earlier today that a VTP version mismatch should not impact the trunk in this way - The specific log is: " Jul 12 16:44:47.775: %SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: Version 1 device detected on Gi0/1 after grace period has ended"). Thanks

CORE#

VTP Version : running VTP1 (VTP2 capable)

Configuration Revision : 18

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 27

VTP Operating Mode : Server

VTP Domain Name : COMPVTP

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0xAD 0x63 0x93 0x06 0x83 0x4F 0x68 0x5E

Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 6-15-10 12:26:33

Local updater ID is xx.xx.xx.xx on interface Vl10 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)

ACCESS#

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 28

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 20

VTP Operating Mode : Client

VTP Domain Name : COMPVTP

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Enabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0xB8 0xF2 0x10 0x49 0xE0 0xB2 0x95 0xBA

Configuration last modified by xx.xx.xx.xx at 11-7-07 22:12:08

ACCESS#

I have seen this with the version mismatch, so you might want to change the version and check.

Second thing that I notice is Config-rev number on client is  28 while the server is 18 so any updates . Since version 1 is not comaptible with version 2 client is not overwriting is the database on the serve,r if they were both running ver 2  it would have overwritten the database on server.

JayaKrishna

Thanks. Does changing VTP version create a down time? If yes, I assume there would be less impact if I change the VTP version on the Access switch from v2 to V1. I appreciate your help.

This message (including any attachments) constitutes a confidential communication and/or contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and delete this message and any attachments. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email is intended to create a binding agreement between Mediware Information Systems, Inc. and any third party.

dichatte
Level 1
Level 1

Also would like to mention that is the if the vlans on the client were added there from before,it was added to the Server through trunk.

Also check if there is VTP password set or not, which may be restricting the client from getting update.

Be very careful with this. Remember, the higher Revision writes to the lower Revision, even if the higher Revision is in Client mode. If the Access switch had been working correctly, you could have messed up the VTP domain on the VTP Server switch.

If I was you, I would change the Access switch VTP to transparent before making any additional VTP changes. Once you've done that, the Revision number will reset to 0. Then fix the Version mismatch and check the VTP password. After that, then change the VTP back to Client. If all goes well, it should pull the VLAN's from the VTP Server.

Good Luck.

Chance

I am glad I didn't make the change yet. Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card