cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPLS Multicast using RSVP P2MP & m-LDP M2MP TE !

Vaibhava Varma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All

I am trying to understand and find solution for implementing VPLS Multicast using RSVP P2MP TE & m-LDP M2MP TE but unfortunately I have

not been able to get any Online Documentation Implenation for this Technology (I always end up getting very good Junos docs for same which I don;t want )

Welll if anyone can give me some more insight into this along with a good technical implementation doc.

Here is what I understand--To overcome the issue of packet replication at the Ingress PE withhin the VPLS Instance we tend to use the Multipoint TE

Tunnels which will overcome the packet replication issue by utilising these underlying MP TE Tunnels. Now what confuses me is  since VPLS is L2

how do we make the L2 VPLS interact with the underlying MP TE toplolgy for multicast packet routing.Essentially what it appears to me is that we are making the L2 VPLS services of Customers interact with the underlying SP's MP TE Topology. Under RSVP P2MP TE , the Multicast Groups needs to be added to the P2MP Head End and which is not part of VPLS Instance.I think we should be buliding the MDTs per VPLS Instance which will create a P2MP Toplogy for RSVP or M2MP Topology for m-LDP. My question is if I am have to use MDTs as I am thinking do we have an option to define MDTs inside the VPLS Instance , the same way as we do for NGN MVPNs.

soemthing like:

for m-LDP

l2 vfi vplsmcast autodiscovery

mdt preference mldp

mdt default mpls mldp 'opaue_address

for RSVP P2MP TE

I have no clue as I have still not been able to implement NGN MVPN using P2MP RSVP TE and I can't think how we can make use of it for VPLS Multicast either.

I may not be correct in my thought process but again till now I never got any Cisco Document to help me understand this.

Hope someone will guide me out here with correct concept and implementation.

Regards

Vaibhava Varma

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

chintan-shah
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Vaibhava,

As far as  I know, Cisco is working on mLDP which is prefereed approach from Cisco and but not yet released.

It is expectd to be avilable by 2011 to start with IOS-XR.

Juniper is more towards RSVP-TE and not yet providing mLDP. There is yet nothing avilable as standard solution incase you want to interoperate and no RFC , everything is in draft.

Regards,

Chintan

View solution in original post

Hi,

We have few things on the roadmap to integrate VPLS and LSM but this forum is not the right place to talk about it. Please contact your account team which will be able to give you more information

Thanks

Laurent.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

chintan-shah
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Vaibhava,

As far as  I know, Cisco is working on mLDP which is prefereed approach from Cisco and but not yet released.

It is expectd to be avilable by 2011 to start with IOS-XR.

Juniper is more towards RSVP-TE and not yet providing mLDP. There is yet nothing avilable as standard solution incase you want to interoperate and no RFC , everything is in draft.

Regards,

Chintan

Hi,

We have few things on the roadmap to integrate VPLS and LSM but this forum is not the right place to talk about it. Please contact your account team which will be able to give you more information

Thanks

Laurent.

Hi Laurent and Chintan

Thanks to you both for sharing the insights into this.

Regards

Vaibhava Varma

My experience with multicast in a pseudowire or vpls instance, replication of the multicast occurs if you terminate within the mpls cloud.  This results in pixelization of the streams.

You can transport multicast just fine though.

Regards

Jude Bryant

Network Engineer

Pioneer Telephone

ulatif
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Efficient replication of Multicast traffic on layer-2 VPLS domains is still a challenge IETF is working on - at the moment unfortunately it is sent as a broadcast in VPLS.

There are few internet drafts namely the "Simon/Raymond" one and another which snoops on Layer-3 information to build an efficient L2 multicast tree in VPLS network. But they are all drafts - nothing ratified by IETF as an RFC yet

If you want a true label-switched multicast that is standardized, your best option is to use layer-3 mLDP or RSVP-TE

regards

Usman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: