Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp router-id question

julxu
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I need remove a interface, old connection sing bgp. however, I found its ip address act as bgp router-id currently.

Could I get advice that if I remove the interface configuration, what happend with the bgp router-id? will it change immediatly? if so, will it case a reboot? or bgp connection reset?

Any comment will be apprecaited

Thanks in advance

julxu

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi julxu,

You should always use a loopback interface (logical interface) to be your router id not a physical interface.  So make sure you have a loopback interface with IP address assign to it.  Then that will become your router ID and if you change any Physical interface BGP will not be effected.

HTH

Reza

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi

I need remove a interface, old connection sing bgp. however, I found its ip address act as bgp router-id currently.

Could I get advice that if I remove the interface configuration, what happend with the bgp router-id? will it change immediatly? if so, will it case a reboot? or bgp connection reset?

Any comment will be apprecaited

Thanks in advance

julxu

Hi Julxu,

Changing your router-id will be effective after you reset your BGP connections and the best practice recommends that RID with the "bgp router-id" command and that this address be associated with a loopback interface address.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card