Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi route and static route issue

sfanayei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

How is it posible to send traffic from network 10.90.2.0 and network 10.90.4.0 (Both subnets are connected direktly to router A) to the same destination network from Router A witch static route

via two different interface on router B or router C.

NB: I have allredy a static route on router A - ip route 195.70.240.0 10.80.255.253. Tanks in advance!

sfanayei

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sfanayei wrote:

Hi

How is it posible to send traffic from network 10.90.2.0 and network 10.90.4.0 (Both subnets are connected direktly to router A) to the same destination network from Router A witch static route

NB: I have allredy a static route on router A - ip route 195.70.240.0 10.80.255.253. Tanks in advance!

sfanayei

You can't do it with just static routes but you can with PBR ie.

access-list 101 permit ip 10.90.2.0 0.0.0.255 195.70.240.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 102 permit ip 10.90.4.0 0.0.0.255 195.70.240.0 0.0.0.255

route-map PBR permit 10

match ip address 101

set ip next-hop

route-map PBR permit 20

match ip address 102

set ip next-hop

int fa0/0  <-- this interface connected to 10.90.2.0 network

ip policy route-map PBR

int fa0/1  <-- this interface connected to 10.92.4.0 network

ip policy route-map PBR

Jon

View solution in original post

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sfanayei

Jon has one understanding of your requirements which is that you need traffic sourced from 192.168.2.0 to go over one link and traffic from 192.168.4.0 to go over the other link. If that is the correct understanding then he is correct that you can not do this with just static routes and that Policy Based Routing is the solution that will work. But I believe that there is a different interpretation of your requirements. As I read your post I think that perhaps your requirement is that traffic should use both links, that some traffic should go through router B and some traffic should go through router C (but that it does not necessarily need to be separate depending on source address). If that understanding is correct then there is a solution that uses just static routes. Configure a static route for the destination with router B as the next hop and configure another static route for the same destination with router C as the next hop.

Can you tell us which of these possibilities satisfies your real requirements?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sfanayei wrote:

Hi

sfanayei

You can't do it with just static routes but you can with PBR ie.

access-list 101 permit ip 10.90.2.0 0.0.0.255 195.70.240.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 102 permit ip 10.90.4.0 0.0.0.255 195.70.240.0 0.0.0.255

route-map PBR permit 10

match ip address 101

set ip next-hop

route-map PBR permit 20

match ip address 102

set ip next-hop

int fa0/0  <-- this interface connected to 10.90.2.0 network

ip policy route-map PBR

int fa0/1  <-- this interface connected to 10.92.4.0 network

ip policy route-map PBR

Jon

Dear Jon

Tanks for your reply, i have'nt try your slution yet, but it seems it will work. I have correctet my networg diagram, please take look at it. Do I need to keep my existing static route efter implementing the your solution or I can just delete it?

Tanks again

sfanayei

sfanayei

Thank you for posting to the thread indicating that Jon had the correct understanding of your requirements. In this case what he suggests is a good way to satisfy your requirements. I would suggest that you keep the static route. It will not be used to route traffic from either 192.168.2.0 or 192.168.4.0 but would be needed if there were traffic sourced from any other address (such as if you attempt to ping, trace, etc from the router). There is minimal impact in keeping the static route and there is some potential benefit from having the static route.

Thank you for marking the question as resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know from the marking that they  will see responses which did resolve the question.

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sfanayei

Jon has one understanding of your requirements which is that you need traffic sourced from 192.168.2.0 to go over one link and traffic from 192.168.4.0 to go over the other link. If that is the correct understanding then he is correct that you can not do this with just static routes and that Policy Based Routing is the solution that will work. But I believe that there is a different interpretation of your requirements. As I read your post I think that perhaps your requirement is that traffic should use both links, that some traffic should go through router B and some traffic should go through router C (but that it does not necessarily need to be separate depending on source address). If that understanding is correct then there is a solution that uses just static routes. Configure a static route for the destination with router B as the next hop and configure another static route for the same destination with router C as the next hop.

Can you tell us which of these possibilities satisfies your real requirements?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Dear Rick

I am sorry that i was not much clear om my message, but Jon's understandig is correct, but tanks any way for your reply. And i have correctet my network diagram.doc too.

Sfanayei

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card