cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Instance numbers following route maps

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I am working at a client site today, and am trying to prune some routes from one path,

and add them to another.  As I examine the configuration on this specific router, I come across the following:

route-map bgp-eigrp-rm permit 10
match ip address bgp-eigrp
!
route-map eigrp-bgp-rm permit 10
match ip address eigrp-bgp
!
route-map eigrp-bgp-rm deny 20

Can anyone tell me here what the 10's and 20"s mean on the end of each of these statments?  What do they pertain to?

Thanks

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Taylor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Each route-map can have multiple sequences to it, which dictate the order by which you move through a route-map.

Once the item (packet, route prefix, etc) being sent through the route-map finds a matching statement, it will take the action dicated in that specific sequence, and then immediately exit the route-map.

For example, in this route-map:

match ip address  eigrp-bgp
!

If a route DOES match the "eigrp-bgp" access-list, then it will be allowed (this route-map is probably used for redistribution).

If not, it will proceed to the second sequence of the route-map (which happens to be a deny all entry, since no match statement is used in conjunction with a deny type), and the route will not be redistributed.

HTH,

Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Taylor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Each route-map can have multiple sequences to it, which dictate the order by which you move through a route-map.

Once the item (packet, route prefix, etc) being sent through the route-map finds a matching statement, it will take the action dicated in that specific sequence, and then immediately exit the route-map.

For example, in this route-map:

match ip address  eigrp-bgp
!

If a route DOES match the "eigrp-bgp" access-list, then it will be allowed (this route-map is probably used for redistribution).

If not, it will proceed to the second sequence of the route-map (which happens to be a deny all entry, since no match statement is used in conjunction with a deny type), and the route will not be redistributed.

HTH,

Rob

Rob

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  It is a big help and makes it crystal clear.

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: