cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ospf bgp redistribution

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

If you are issuing a default orginate from the OSPF and redistribute ospf into BGP does the default go with it?

thx

7 Replies 7

chinkevi_2
Level 1
Level 1

depends if the default route is in routing table, and if it is known via ospf process.  BGP will take anything into BGP process.

default orginate command in ospf generate default route only if there is existing default route known already.

vdineshkumar83
Level 1
Level 1

Yes it wud. Here you are redistributing the OSPF database as whole without any restriction.

Regards,

V Dinesh Kumar

Thanks a bunch. I have another question if you have the time. I see something in the bgp config that I have never seen before network 0.0.0.0 rather than default-originate. Is there any difference because it certainly appears to work as they have a static route for 0.0.0.0

Bill

Hello,

network 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 is used in bgp to inject a default route in to bgp provided that there is a default route in the RIB.

Franco

or without a default route in the RIB, you could use soemthing like neighbor 1.1.1.1 default-originate. This commend will generate a default route and send it to the configured peer without a matching default route in the BGP table or RIB.

Francisco

Thanks but is that any different then default-originate?

see my second comment i have explained the difference.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco