How to configure a preferred route in eigrp

Answered Question
Jul 13th, 2010
User Badges:

I have a Cisco Catalyst 3750 switch that is a route point for network 206.223.104.0.  We are learning routes for this network from one neighbor at the business partner and we need that route to be preferred.  We also have another route to the 206.223.104.0 we are learning from another site that has a link to the same business partner, but it has to cross our WAN and then several other of our networks to get there if it ships that way.

We want to have the 2nd alternative to the 206.223. network in case the Primary link fails.  How can we configure our switch to keep the closest route as the primary route in the routing table, and to ship it across our WAN to our other site and then out to the business partner if the primary route fails?

These two paths to the same network are being learned via eigrp.

Thanks

Kevin

Correct Answer by Amit Singh about 6 years 8 months ago

Hi Kevin,

There are a couple of ways to accomplish this, on my personal experience the best way to do it is by changing the delay of the interface:

interface X/X
delay #

If you increase the delay on the interface the metric will be higher. Another way to do it is using offset-lists, in which case you can select
which routes will be affected. Changing the delay will affect all the routes going through the interface.

Offset-list for EIGRP
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_eig2.html#wp1012264

HTH,

Cheers,
-amit singh

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Amit Singh Tue, 07/13/2010 - 13:22
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Kevin,

There are a couple of ways to accomplish this, on my personal experience the best way to do it is by changing the delay of the interface:

interface X/X
delay #

If you increase the delay on the interface the metric will be higher. Another way to do it is using offset-lists, in which case you can select
which routes will be affected. Changing the delay will affect all the routes going through the interface.

Offset-list for EIGRP
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_eig2.html#wp1012264

HTH,

Cheers,
-amit singh

Actions

This Discussion