Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing a trunk

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

i wanted to know can you tell me what commands would i use to remove a trunk from an interface.

I have to move a trunk from FA0/1 and place it on Gi0/1, i thought that i could just copy and paste

the config from FA0/6 which is an access port and it would take the config on the trunk interface.

But when i did a sh run it's still a trunk port.Gi0/1 took the config because the port didn't have any

previous config on it.Any help would be greatly appreciate and thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You can use the "no" form of the command to remove the trunk configuation. You need to configure "switchport mode access" to change it from trunk to access mode.

interface fa0/1

switchport mode access

no switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You can use the "no" form of the command to remove the trunk configuation. You need to configure "switchport mode access" to change it from trunk to access mode.

interface fa0/1

switchport mode access

no switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Thanks alot i really appreciate it

Elaborating the concept ,Whenever we use no with Cisco IOS Device in the network ,it remove the services currently installed with it.

We can configured it as it is we want .

In this scenario,we can change the mode of this port by writing a command like :switchport mode trunk/access whatever required.

Regards

Vinod Agrahari

I like the default command better than the no command as it resets the port enabling you to reset your options. 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, the default interface command is nice.  However, there are some of things to be aware of.  First, on some platforms, the default interface command (I believe) might change the shut down status.  So, I generally always follow a default interface command with setting the interface to shut or no shut, as desired.

Second, on at least one platform, some 6500 interface commands (some of the QoS commands) actually set/reset multiple interfaces (those on the same ASIC).  So, when you reset an interface with the default command, it clears some interface commands off other interfaces too.

Lastly, on some interfaces, on some platforms, some commands will not "disappear" when you change their activation status.  I.e. the command will appear both with and without "no".  For those, the default interface command will generally remove such commands.

pmpesha
Level 1
Level 1

You can also use the default int fa0/1 command to wipe the config on your interface.

That command is so much better than the putting no in front of the lines that i want to

remove. Thanks lot for sharing the knowlege i really appreciate it.

Joseph London
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for sharing this. 

@scooter817 wrote:
how to enable 0/12 port

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco