XBOX Live NAT Issue

Unanswered Question
Jul 13th, 2010
User Badges:

I recently purchased the new Cisco Valet Plus (M20) router.  Trying to get all the settings created for my xbox.  I created a static IP address for the xbox and opened the following ports:

53        Both

80        TCP

88        UDP    

3074     Both

And enabled the UPnP

After all this I still receive the NAT issue when I test the XBOX Live connection.  Is there anything additional I need to setup in the port forwarding or elsewhere?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
kenrandrews Wed, 07/14/2010 - 06:50
User Badges:

Unfortunately it seems that you have covered the basics correctly. I would try two other things, try it with UPnP disabled, I vaguely remember this being an issues with Linksys routers so maybe it will apply. The second is that you can put the xbox into the DMZ. I can't seem to find any instructions on this, but it should be fairly straight forward.

On a side not I imagine that when you say you configured the Static IP that you did this on the xbox and not just the router. Sorry I know its a stupid question, but I have to ask because it looks like you did everything right.

Also how bad is the NAT moderate or strict?

Panos Kampanakis Wed, 07/14/2010 - 14:19
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I am not sure about the router, but the ASA will not support uPnP.

Do you see it work if you disable it?

PK

Kevin Redmon Thu, 07/15/2010 - 06:45
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Larry,

Sorry that we've not been able to give you a definite answer just yet, but we'll definitely continue to help you troubleshoot.  Here's a link that I found - you may have already covered this:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54GS/Xbox_Live_360.htm

This link is designed for the Linksys WRT54GS, but I trust alot of the configuration will be similar.  Here is the official Microsoft KB link that references this website:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

I did notice on the bottom of the 'portforward' link, there is a tool that says it will allow you to confirm that you have ports opened correctly - maybe that will help out?  I'm not sure about the quality of the software and/or entirely how it works - but it may be another tool in the toolbox.

I had a similar situation to this a few years ago - I remember our analysis made us start to think that it may have to do with the source port as well (does Xbox require the query to come from a certain source port?).  I'm not sure about this - can anyone comment?

Any information or lessons learned, Larry, please be sure to let us know!

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content