AP manager interface on both ports on same subnet causing issues

Unanswered Question
Jul 14th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi all

I am having an issue with my ap's, I have a 4404 and 1242 ap's, I have port 1 on the controller on my lan, with ap manager and all vlans for the wireless on there, then I have port 2 plugged into my dmz, with another ap manager set on that interface, it is in the same subnet as the ap manager on port 1, however, this is causing my ap's to not join the controller, when I disable port 2, they all join fine.

does the ap manager on the 2nd port need to be in a different subnet or should this work?

cheers

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Wed, 07/14/2010 - 04:58
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

How many APs are joining to one AP Manager Interface?  The most it will take is 24 APs per AP Manager Interface.

Did you configure LAG?

carl_townshend Wed, 07/14/2010 - 05:21
User Badges:

hi there, there are only 18 ap's on the interface, for some reason the ap's are looking for the ap manager on port 2 that connects to the dmz, where as they should be connecting to the one on port 1, there is no LAG configured here.

Kayle Miller Wed, 07/14/2010 - 05:56
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Carl,

I don't believe you can put an AP manager on the DMZ interface unless you have AP's in the DMZ.. The most likely reason for some ap's trying to goto the other AP Manager would be the controller load balancing them across it's ports... If your going to run this configuration I'd reccomend you configure ports 1 thru 3 as management/ap manager and conenct them to your internal network, and have the 4th port be a DMZ port with no AP manager.

please rate helpful posts.

Thanks,

Actions

This Discussion