cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless network stability

campbech1
Level 1
Level 1

Running WISMs on 6.0.196 and 4404's on 6.0.196 and seeing many wireless disconnects.

TAC has released to me 6.0.197.10 but still experiencing drops and another unidentified bug that I'm waiting to hear back on.

Anyone running 6.0.196 and seeing the same? Might be downgrading from 6.0.196 to 5.2.193 this weekend.

Kind of at a loss and need to get this resolved.

30 Replies 30

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

Sadly, many people have run into this issue (check the second listed bug)

Software_Advisory_6_0_196_0.html

Software Advisory

Wireless LAN Controller Software

Base Code: 6.0.182.0, 6.0.188.0, 6.0.196.0

Special Build: Following options are available:

1.     Move to 7.0.98.0 Release posted on CCO. Please note, 7.0 is a new feature release.

2.     Contact TAC to get a 6.0 Special or Beta release with fixes for the bugs below.

3.     Wait for the CCO release of 6.0 MR3 (Maintenance Release), which is planned for July/August 2010

The code is designed for 2100 / 4400 / 5500 / WiSM / WLC3750 / WLCM

This Software Advisory Notice is issued against all the above Wireless LAN Controller software versions due to the following bugs:

CSCtf34858 Client can't transmit traffic if it reassociates to an AP within 20 sec
CSCte89891 Radio may stop transmitting beacons periodically

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/Wireless/Deferral/Software_Advisory_6_0_196_0.html

Cheers!
Rob

Agreed, but our conditions don't match. Maybe it doesn't matter though.

Symptom:
AP may stop transmitting beacons intermittently (maximum for 10 seconds) in a heavy multicast environment. Clients may drop during this period.

Conditions:
This problem will happen only in the presence of the following 3 factors.
1) RRM should be enabled (especially off-channel scanning)
2) Lot of multicast traffic should be present on the network.
3) Presence of power save clients.

Fix:
This issue has been fixed in 7.0 release and H MR3 release. All previous 6.0 releases (and earlier) have the problem.

We are using statically assigned channels and power settings. Also very little multicast traffic.

We ran into this bug (or a very similar one) in 6.0.182.0.  There was not a lot of multicast, and RRM was enabled (although the power and channels were statically configured).  We went to 188 and have not had the problem since.  I'm very hesitant to move to one of the newer releases until we get some better feedback, but as of today, we are stable at 188 and have been for 6 months or so.

-John

michacollins
Level 1
Level 1

My customer is experiencing similar client drops.  However, they are not using RRM or multicast, running WLC code 5.2.193.0.  Please share any info that comes available from the yet to be identified bug.  They've been experiencing this for the better part of 6 months now.

Thanks for the info. I have a WebEx today to look into it further.

My thought was to downgrade to 5.2.193 might have to rethink that now.

I will update the tread with whatever information I can gather.

Just found the email with the bug ID we ran into -

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCta29484

I don't know about versions after 6.0.188.0, but we've not run into it since.  BTW, we are running older 1231 APs...

John

campbech1
Level 1
Level 1

6.0.199 has just been released today (ok, its not on the download site yet) but the release notes are, and has the software advisory bugs as being resolved.

Looks like I may free up a controller this weekend and move just a single building to the new release and test it.

I will post my findings..

Why not upgrade to 7.0?

With this being a multi-hospital environment I would prefer stability over the new features. I have applied this two one 4404 controller and moved a single offsite practice to it for testing. Only 5 access points but these are the loudest complainers when the wireless network experiences issues.

If this proves to be stable, then I will upgrade our other 4404s and WiSMs in a few weeks.

Has anyone moved from 6.0.196 to 6.0.199?

Was it a successful change? Are you still seeing any of the 6.0.196 buggy symptoms?

Upgraded one of our controllers and the users haven't had any disconnects or performance issues, yet. So far it looks really good!

UPDATE:

If you have Vocera in your environment stay away from 6.0.199

Going from 196 to 199 fixed many issues that we were having but broke Vocera.

What seems to be happening is the keepalive messages that badge sends to the vocera server are getting dropped, the badge goes off net, and it goes into a 'searching for server' state. It may fix itself after 30 sec, 1min, 5min etc... it's very sporadic or a battery pull might work.

Has anybody else seen this?

We have this Vocera / 6.0.199 issue narrowed down to inter-controller roaming. The badge only goes into a searching for server state during an inter-controller roam event.

Working with TAC.

Ok this has me worried. We too have Vocerra in our emergency department. Any more news on this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: