cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 dual-wan router

jonahern
Level 1
Level 1

i have an RV042 dual wan that is connected to a dsl line and a cable modem line.  i run several apps that stream data and use several web pages at a time.  i am having an intermittent problem where my programs and webpages will not be able to connect to what they were connected to.  for example AIM gets disconnected and will not reconnect or i won't be able to access a web page.  I have two desktops connected and can be running a continuous ping to say "google.com" successfully yet lose connections in individual webpages and programs.  (Another ex:  i cannot access google.com in web browser on one machine, but can on the other machine - while ping google.com is working on both).  i'm wondering if it is because the a program establishes a connection through one provider and cannot switch easily to the other... say if my dsl went down and existing connections through the phone company cannot reset through the cable company.  An example - i unplugged my cable modem and all of programs  and web pages lose connection and cannot reconnect, even though the dsl line is still up.  For some reason, I thought the load balancing feature in this router could handle all of this.  Can anyone tell me if I am wrong in thinking this?

1 Reply 1

jonahern
Level 1
Level 1

oops - found several posts in here that lead me to believe now that the rv042's "load balancing" feature isn't quite what I thought it was.  no need to answer my question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: