Views
Helpful
Replies

iPod touch doesn't "roam" on 1231G APs

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hi experts,

I have been struggling on this problem for a while! We have some standalone 1231G APs. When you walk with an iPod touch from one AP to another, the iPod touch won't try to deassociate from the previous one and associate to the next one! (I know that it's technically not "roaming". It's just simple reassociation with another AP with stronger signal and same SSID). The iPod touch will show "not connect" but still doesn't try the next AP, which is right beside it! You have to power cycle it for it associate with the AP.

The problem doesn't happen to other Apple devices or any laptops.

The configs are very basic and here they are:

dot11 ssid XXXXX
   authentication open
   guest-mode
!

interface Dot11Radio0
no ip address
no ip unreachables
no ip route-cache
!
ssid XXXXX
!
speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
no preamble-short
channel 2437
station-role root
rts threshold 2312
no dot11 extension aironet
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
bridge-group 1 port-protected
bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
no bridge-group 1 source-learning
no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
!

Does anyone have any idea that why it would happen? Is there a way to force deassociation of a client if the power is lower than certain threthold? I am wondering that if a forced deassociation from the AP will make it attempt to associate with next AP with stronger signal. Thanks!

Difan

2 Replies 2

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Are you still facing this issue?

thanks,

Vinay

Thanks & Regards

Hi Vinay,

Yes we are still seeing it here and there. Changing the antenna to low gain like 2.5dbi helps a little bit... Do you have any other advice?? Is this a known issue with the Ipod Touch? Thanks!

Difan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card