cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WET200 issues with DHCP

jshemanski
Level 1
Level 1

I have a wet200 associating with a cisco air-lap1142n-a-k9. It associates fine but two issues.....

1. wired clients connected to wet200 will not receive a dhcp

2. I can hardcode ip address but only allows for one client . IfI plug in another client it does not work

I am running new firmware on 2.0.3.2 on wet200. It is configured in infrastructure mode. All other settings are default.

My goal was to have a wireless bridge that will allow wired clients to connect to my wireless network.

Any thoughts appreciated!

John

5 Replies 5

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

John,

I have some good and bad news for you.... Long story short was I encountered this issue several months ago and spent weeks with TAC even an Escalation engineer working on this issue. There are a couple of things in play here, First off is an LWAPP limitation of only allowing 1 DHCP & IP address per Mac Address on a client (Same reason VMWare doesn't work), since the WET200 is the Client the controller sees it only allows the 1 device. Second is the fact that the controller doesn't see the WET200 as a Workgroup Bridge; this is the mode that the controller permits to you to accomplish the task that you are desiring. Lastly you need to make sure that you have 802.3 Bridging enabled on the controller under the Controller> General>  Tab.

So basicially if you statically assign all three devices they should work most of the time as long as you enable 802.3 Bridging (Although they maybe finiky and intermittent) and they won't work in a DHCP Manner. When I ran into this issue we were using a 4.2.x.x code release and we never re-evaluated on any newer code than that. Incidentally the WET200 works fine in a IOS Wireless network as there is no limitation, and supposedly with the new 7.0.98.0 code and 2100 or 5500 series controllers you can enable a passive client mode on the controllers that resolves the issues above, but I haven't seen or been able to test that to verify it.

Hopefully this helps, please rate useful posts.

Thanks,

Kayle

Kayle -

Thanks for the info! I had a feeling we bought the wrong device.

When you said enable "802.3 bridging" on the controller and that should allow more than 1 wired, static ip'd client to work, would that be the "802.3x flow Control Mode" option on the controller? I do not see a 802.3 bridge option.

I am using a cisco 5508 controller running version 6.0.196.0.

Regards,

John Shemanski

Lead Network Engineer

Network Engineering

Affinion Group, Global Information Technology

Trumbull Connecticut Technology Engineering and Operations Center

(203) 416-2372 Office phone

(203) 521-3811 Cell phone

(203) 416-2611 Fax

John,

I don't have a 5508 handy with that code on it, but on the 4404's it's shown here.

Here are my options under the general screen. Looks like the same area as in the 4400 just worded differently.

General

802.3x Flow Control Mode Disable

Web Radius Authentication PAP

AP Primary Discovery Timeout

Back-up Primary Controller IP Address1

Back-up Primary Controller Name

Back-up Secondary Controller IP Address1

Back-up Secondary Controller Name

Regards,

John Shemanski

Lead Network Engineer

Network Engineering

Affinion Group, Global Information Technology

Trumbull Connecticut Technology Engineering and Operations Center

(203) 416-2372 Office phone

(203) 521-3811 Cell phone

(203) 416-2611 Fax

It would appear cisco either removed the option of just has it in an always enabled state.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card