Views
Helpful
Replies

DR design

jacodu-plessis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1. We have a production server farm using a /24 public address. In a failover event the /24 pool gets advertised via BGP and fails over to a DR site. The issue we have is the DR site is only accessible during failover mode.  What is best practice for this?

2. We have a internal fibre WAN connection directly to the DR site. MY question is what is the best design for this scenario? I want to improve the way the Production server farm can connect to the DR server farm using same IP ranges. Will VRF-lite router work with one-to-nat work? If so where would I need to place the router.

3 Replies 3

Dipesh Patel
Level 2
Level 2

Can you please post the topology please?

topology

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1. We have a production server farm using a /24 public address. In a failover event the /24 pool gets advertised via BGP and fails over to a DR site. The issue we have is the DR site is only accessible during failover mode.  What is best practice for this?

2. We have a internal fibre WAN connection directly to the DR site. MY question is what is the best design for this scenario? I want to improve the way the Production server farm can connect to the DR server farm using same IP ranges. Will VRF-lite router work with one-to-nat work? If so where would I need to place the router.

Hi,

Genrally it depends on the resource and capacity of the DR infrastructure,Like if DC is having 3 server to tackle the user load and DR is having only one then best way is to have active/passive method making DC as active and DR in passive.

If at all you want to utilse the DR infrastructer you can us that also with help of DNS load balancing like publishing the webser to your root dns by making A record of the webserver with both the DC and DR isp public address.In this case both DC and DR will be running in active and active mode in round robin fashion.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card