Views
Helpful
Replies

878 Series router built-in 4 port Ethernet switch question

richvin29
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking at upgrading a network that is using Linksys routers and sufffering from poor reliability. I want to replace them with 878 series routers as it has a built-in G.SHDSL wan port which should allow me to also remove SHDSL modems that are connected to the Linksys routers.

My question concerns the functionality of the WAN port. Some of the sites have fiber (connection to router via fiber media rate convertors) instead of SHDSL modems. If I get the Advanced IP services IOS; can I use the one of the 4 Ethernet ports on the built-in switch of the 878 to route outside/inside traffic instead of using the WAN port? Or should I purchase the 871 (Ethernet WAN port) series routers for my fiber sites?

I would like to go with a standard model for all sites, and would like to use the 878 but am worried that it won't work for my fiber sites.

These series routers are for small business solutions and most routers made for these solutions usually only have the one routable WAN port.

I appreciate any assistance that can be given.

V/R

Rich

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We have 871 model and we use 2 LAN switch ports as external interfaces (VLAN subinterfaces), thus 3 ports are used as external.

Also we have 878 model on which we are using one LAN switch port as an external interface connected to fiber converter for the primary line and G.SHDSL modem is used to provide backup line.

I believe it is possible to create as many VLAN subinterfaces as many ports exists on 87x series routers.

P.S. IOS is 12.4.24T2

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ADAM CRISP
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Richard,

I've got an 877 ADSL router - so lets assume it's the same beast, just with a different WAN interface.

All the LAN ports are fixed L2, but will operate as Trunks,

There is a very small number of Vlans supported - eg 2. so you could have two vlans supported on the router, one for your Lan, the other one with a single ethernet uplink to the WAN.

You could connect your existing SHDSL modems to the unit and configurure up PPPoE one of the VLANs as well.

Incidently, I've managed to get hold of a new c887M which is fantastic, comes in a metal box, rather than plastic and supports 8 vlans with advsecurity. You might want to get a quote for the 88X range instead.

thanks

Adam

We have 871 model and we use 2 LAN switch ports as external interfaces (VLAN subinterfaces), thus 3 ports are used as external.

Also we have 878 model on which we are using one LAN switch port as an external interface connected to fiber converter for the primary line and G.SHDSL modem is used to provide backup line.

I believe it is possible to create as many VLAN subinterfaces as many ports exists on 87x series routers.

P.S. IOS is 12.4.24T2

Alen and Adam,

Thanks for your replies and assistance. Alen the scenario you listed with your 878 is almost exactly what I want to do with our fiber sites. Thank you very much for verifying that it is indeed a workable solution. This will help with ordering one standard model that can be installed across all of our sites.

V/R

Rich

Glad to help you.

Good luck with your project.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card