urgent help regarding AP

Unanswered Question
Jul 15th, 2010

Guys we have 3 AP's running in environemnt and we have two 4402 (12) WLC....now as we have aquire more space we need another 4 AP's.....the current Ap has a vlan and it points towards DHCP server where we have install static maping to mac addresses.....now i have provided new IP address to the server team along with the mac addresses so that they can configure it in server.......i am really new to wireless .....now we have naming for already 3 AP's once you login to the WLC......guys do i have to do some extra steps in WLC for new AP's or it shd work....how we get names into WLC??? for monitoring.....as soon as AP boots up they will get IP address from DHCP and will they start working right away???? i m trying to get my head around....plz help me out as we have installation in two days

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Surendra BG Sun, 07/18/2010 - 02:36

No problem.. if you are using the LWAPP ap's that is, if the AP  model  number starts like

AIR-LAPXXX, then at the time u connect  the AP  to the switchport configured for perticular vlan the AP will get  the ip  address anf join the controller.

Regards

Surendra

jlhainy Mon, 07/19/2010 - 06:15

As long as you have Discovery methods in place, like DHCP option 43 or DNS, you should be good to go.

I use DNS and have a DNS record that points cisco-capwap-controller or cisco-lwapp-controller, depending on what version of code you are running, to my controller.  So, when I get an out of the box Lightweight AP, I plug it in, it gets DHCP info and does a dns resolve to the controller and joins the controller.  I have added dozens and dozens of APs in the past couple of months.

Actions

This Discussion