Views
Helpful
Replies

837 auto DNS detection

nick1one1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Not much experience with Cisco gear but I have sucessfully configured my first 837 to connect to a cable modem and assign addresses by dhcp.

I already have a belkin 'home' router on the same LAN which is set as the default gateway in the dhcp pool on the 837 (192.168.2.1). So all clients assigned by dhcp typically access the internet using the belkin. Unless I statically assign the default gateway in the OS to the 837 (192.168.2.254).

My next step is to create some dhcp reservations for the two machines I want to connect through the 837.

My question is is it possible to 'automatically detect' the DNS servers from my ISP like the belkin does?

Thanks!

Nick

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all,

Not much experience with Cisco gear but I have sucessfully configured my first 837 to connect to a cable modem and assign addresses by dhcp.

I already have a belkin 'home' router on the same LAN which is set as the default gateway in the dhcp pool on the 837 (192.168.2.1). So all clients assigned by dhcp typically access the internet using the belkin. Unless I statically assign the default gateway in the OS to the 837 (192.168.2.254).

My next step is to create some dhcp reservations for the two machines I want to connect through the 837.

My question is is it possible to 'automatically detect' the DNS servers from my ISP like the belkin does?

Thanks!

Nick

Hi Nick,

Belkin router would be configured with external DNS server ip address in configuration that why when ever it provide the ip address to client dns server is also been sent.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

Yes I understand that the Belkin forwards on the DNS requests from clients.

But the Belkin 'Automatically' detects the DNS servers. They dont have to be set manually at all.

Like Below...

If  your ISP provided you with a specific DNS address to use, enter the  address in this window and click "Apply Changes".
Automatic  from ISP
DNS  Address >.      .      .      
Secondary  DNS Address >.      .      .      

Can tthe 837 auto-detect DNS servers?