Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to install Cisco VPN Client on Windows 7

jerome.lavigne
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

After a successfull uninstallation of Cisco VPN version 4. I try to install Cisco VPN Client version 5.0.07.0290.

But after launching vpnclient_setup.msi, the wizard is starting. When I click on Next button, I have the following message: "installation ended prematurely because of an error".

In attachment, I add the details of the error find in the windows logs (logError.txt) and the logs generated from MSI installer in verbose mode (log2.txt).

My computer is a lenovo W500 with Windows 7 64 bits and 4 GB of memory (compliant with the Cisco VPN Client requirements).

I have administrator privileges on this computer.

Please help me !

I need to use it to connect to my company network.

Thanks in advance.

BR

Jerome

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you would like to try there is another software I know that works I was using it until cisco came out with a 64 bit client. It was shrew 64 bit version 2.1.0 it worked great you will just need your cisco pcf file to import in if you have it. This will at least tell you if it is  the client or your system.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

I have installed the same version on my HP Laptop with windows 7 64 bit and did not have any issues. Have you tried going to folder itself and right click on the vpn setup and run as administrator. I have found that to work on other things not sure why. But it works. Try looking for any entries in the registry and deleting the Vpn folder incase there is anything left behind from the uninstallation. Hope this helps.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer but it doesn't solved my issue.

On right-click on the MSI file, I don't have the "Run as Administrator" option.

I restart my computer and I try to install it with the Administrator account but I have the same issue.

In the registry ("runned as administrator"), I have deleted all Cisco and VPN references but the issue is the same one.

Please help me to find a solution !!!!

Best regards,

Jerome

This might be a crazy question but have you unzipped the file there should be 2 setup.exe  and one will give you that option I mentioned. One setup .exe should be the application and the other should state Windows Installer try the application one. Let me know how that goes.

Hi,

OK, I have try to perform a right click on the "vpnclient_setup.exe" file to run it as administrator but the issue is the same.

BR

Jerome

If you would like to try there is another software I know that works I was using it until cisco came out with a 64 bit client. It was shrew 64 bit version 2.1.0 it worked great you will just need your cisco pcf file to import in if you have it. This will at least tell you if it is  the client or your system.

Hello,

Shrew is working successfully.

I will try with the next release of Cisco VPN when they will be able to deliver a VPN client fully compliant with Windows 7 64 bits...

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Jerome

Hi,

I got the same issue and I tried the following: log off and log in with local administrator user, then I managed to install Cisco VPN Client (vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9.exe), logged off and logged in with the user I was not able to install it. It works fine.

Regards,

Vasil Soimenov

You should be able to install the 64 bit version of the Cisco VPN software

Latest version is vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9.exe

Using Shrew VPN is a workaround more than a solution / answer to this issue.

You should download and run MCPR.exe first, to clean out any traces of McAfee products that conflict with Cisco VPN.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

If there is a problem with vbscript registration on the system - there is a fixit tool from Microsoft for that:

MicrosoftFixit50842.msi

amosfeldman1
Level 1
Level 1

If you are getting the error about "installer ended prematurely"

I would try this:

download and run MCPR.exe which is provided by McAfee and restart

I think that you can find it here:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Here's the link again:

MCPR.EXE