Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

REP - Resilient Ethernet Protocol

Hello everyone!

We're testing a new technology called REP (Resilient Ethernet Protocol - Cisco Proprietary) and the document about it that I've found is a little bit confusing.

We're about to do some tests with one router Cisco 7600 and 8 Cisco ME 3400G switches to close one ring and check the convergence response time and other things. One of them is VLAN Load Balancing. On the paper that I've found, it doesn't explain very well and I have some doubts about it.

How can we do VLAN Load Balancing just like we do on MSTP? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gustavo Mastroianni

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello everyone!

We're testing a new technology called REP (Resilient Ethernet Protocol - Cisco Proprietary) and the document about it that I've found is a little bit confusing.

We're about to do some tests with one router Cisco 7600 and 8 Cisco ME 3400G switches to close one ring and check the convergence response time and other things. One of them is VLAN Load Balancing. On the paper that I've found, it doesn't explain very well and I have some doubts about it.

How can we do VLAN Load Balancing just like we do on MSTP? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gustavo Mastroianni

Hi Gustavo,

Are you asking vlan load balancing over the trunk,check out the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00800ae96a.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh,

Thanks for your help.

But, I'm trying/needing to do VLAN Load Balance over REP (Resilient Ethernet Protocol), not over STP (Spanning-Tree Protocol).

Can you still help me?!

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo Mastroianni

Ganesh,

Thanks for your help.

But, I'm trying/needing to do VLAN Load Balance over REP (Resilient Ethernet Protocol), not over STP (Spanning-Tree Protocol).

Can you still help me?!

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo Mastroianni

Hi Gustavo,

Check out the below link for vlan load balancing using REP

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3400e/software/release/12.2_44_ey/configuration/guide/swrep.pdf

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Dear all,

I am new in REP and my company is planning to have a  ring with ME3800 Switches connected together to form a ring. This ring  will be an access ring for my customers. At the edge switch, we have  connected one port of the edge swith (port not in the rep segment) to  our core switch (which is a normal Cisco 3560 Switch) through a normal  STP trunk.

When i connect the ring to the 3560 Switch  (to connect the ring to the core, using a trunk port), i see the port  where it is connected blinks very fast which leads me to think that it  may be a loop.

I have put my design in the attached file and hope you'll help me to understand.

Regards,

Hi Paul,

From what I saw in your topology, you use 'rep segment 1 edge primary'' to G0/1 and G0/12. However, you would must use 'primary' in only one this interface. Try this:

interface g0/1

rep segment 1 edge primary

interface g0/12

rep segment 1 edge

Regards!

Silvio L. Veira

Silvio Silva
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: