cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplicate IP address - ip device tracking - Windows 7

mlitka
Level 2
Level 2

We have recently turned on ip device tracking on one of our IDF switches.  Users who are directly connected to the switchports are recieving a duplicate IP address message from Windows 7.  I believe this has to do with the ARP the switch is sending down to the client.  My question is, has anyone else seen this behavior and is there a way to mitigate it?  It is important to note that users who are connected through the IP phones at their desks are not having this issue.

Thanks,

Mike

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike,

Uses connecting win XP or any other operating systems don't this issue?

Thanks,

Reza

We haven't tested with Windows XP.

Has anyone else seen this issue?  We see this when we have PCs that are directly connected to the switch and not through a phone.

hi,

just give below command in switch

show arp ... ip address ...

and check mac address which is associated with respective duplicate ip address.

please let me know

vinod -

The problem is there isn't a "real" IP address conflict.  Since ip device tracking sends out ARP requests with a source address of 0.0.0.0 new clients that come online see this and get confused.  I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they have done to fix it.

tml42181
Level 1
Level 1

We have noticed the same, but not with Windows 7. We have noticed this with Allen-Bradley PLCs. It appears to be particularly associated with the command "ip device tracking"

Seems like the fix is in the newer codes. The windows 7/vista and 2008 devices will flag this error on switches that run device tracking. There is a new command out which allows you to configure a delay in the device tracking probe which will prevent this.

Here is the bug id -

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtn27420

thanks,

Tarik Admani

billkeppler2
Level 1
Level 1

Try configuring the switch for "ip device tracking probe use-svi".  This will replace the 0.0.0.0 source ip address with that of the switch's "interface vlanxxx" one.  Make sure then that you have this address configured and aren't using say just a point to point or loopback address to reach the switch for config purposes.

billkeppler2
Level 1
Level 1

You will also need to make this same change to ALL the switches in the target VLAN that have device tracking turned on, not just the one you are uplinked into.  Having just one switch without the "ip device tracking probe use-svi" in it will affect the entire VLAN for devices that are susceptible to this behavior. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card