Boot L2 switch to different config

Answered Question
Jul 16th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi,

I have a layer 2 switch that I want to erase the startup config, and boot from a new config, different vlan ip, password, etc.  I need to do this remotely, and via telnet, with no console access.  Is there an easy way to do this with tftp, or modifying the boot parameters?  Please advise.

Thanks

Correct Answer by Leo Laohoo about 6 years 10 months ago

Sure.

Compile the new configuration into a .txt file and put it in the directory of your TFTP.  Use the command "copy tftp:///.txt run".

When envoked from the switch, the file will copy to the running config of the switch.  If you like it then save it.  If you don't, make sure you have a command to reload the switch after "x" amount of minutes (command:  reload in "x").

Hope this helps.  Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Leo Laohoo Sat, 07/17/2010 - 00:00
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Sure.

Compile the new configuration into a .txt file and put it in the directory of your TFTP.  Use the command "copy tftp:///.txt run".

When envoked from the switch, the file will copy to the running config of the switch.  If you like it then save it.  If you don't, make sure you have a command to reload the switch after "x" amount of minutes (command:  reload in "x").

Hope this helps.  Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Leo Laohoo Mon, 07/19/2010 - 15:36
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks for the ratings.

Actions

This Discussion