Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot L2 switch to different config

david-flores
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a layer 2 switch that I want to erase the startup config, and boot from a new config, different vlan ip, password, etc.  I need to do this remotely, and via telnet, with no console access.  Is there an easy way to do this with tftp, or modifying the boot parameters?  Please advise.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure.

Compile the new configuration into a .txt file and put it in the directory of your TFTP.  Use the command "copy tftp:///.txt run".

When envoked from the switch, the file will copy to the running config of the switch.  If you like it then save it.  If you don't, make sure you have a command to reload the switch after "x" amount of minutes (command:  reload in "x").

Hope this helps.  Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure.

Compile the new configuration into a .txt file and put it in the directory of your TFTP.  Use the command "copy tftp:///.txt run".

When envoked from the switch, the file will copy to the running config of the switch.  If you like it then save it.  If you don't, make sure you have a command to reload the switch after "x" amount of minutes (command:  reload in "x").

Hope this helps.  Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the ratings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card