Max users for a AIR-LAP1142-A-K9

Unanswered Question
Jul 16th, 2010
User Badges:

I work at a small University where are are moving from a hitspot infrastructure (just provide wireless access)  to dense user support model in order to use wireless during classrrom instruction.  It have a request to provide wirless coverage in a classroom for up to 30 users.  I have installed a Lap-1142 in the hall just overisde of the classroom last semister which provided wireless access for about 12 students.  The class enrollment has grown and now will need to support up to 30 users.  I just install a C3560G-POE to provide 1GB uplink for the switch. The instructed stated she will require students to download pdf files and some streaming media during class and I was asked if the wireless will be able to support this requirement.

I am not sure how many concurrent users a LAP-1142 can support and if it can can it support streaming media for 30 users.  How would I go about testing this senairio? How can one test AP throughput?  How do I ensure it will work during class with having to place another AP within the classroom?

Thank you for your help.

Mike

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Fri, 07/16/2010 - 23:56
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Cisco recommends no more than 25 clients per AP.   (But this never stopped anyone from exceeded the recommended number.  I've seen someone with 38:1).

Is the AP connected to Gig port?

jlhainy Mon, 07/19/2010 - 06:17
User Badges:

I also try to follow the 25 to 1 recommendation.  However, using a 1252, I have seen a little over 30 connect with no issues.

michael.m.williams Mon, 07/19/2010 - 06:36
User Badges:

Currently replacing the AP is not an option, I may be able to get another 1142 but this is my spare.  Is there a way I can test throughput on an AP?

Mike

michael.m.williams Mon, 07/19/2010 - 06:29
User Badges:

Yes, i am connected to a 1GB port.  Where could I located Cisco's 25 user limit recommendation and how can I test the through put of the AP?

Thanks

mike

Leo Laohoo Mon, 07/19/2010 - 15:54
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Where could I located Cisco's 25 user limit recommendation

If you have an autonomous AP, then there's no need to worry.  It's just a rule-of-thumb.  If it's controller-based then it's:

Wireless > 802.11a/n (or 802.11b/g/n) > General and look at "Clients (1 to 75)". 

Leo Laohoo Fri, 07/16/2010 - 23:56
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Double posted.  Me bad. 

Actions

This Discussion