cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site Survey - TX Power Level

kentislander
Level 1
Level 1

I am using site survey (EKAHAU) to do survey of one of dormitory building.

I am getting different strength of signals from different access points (Cisco LAP 1131 )

My questions are:   Should I modify all access points to transmit at full power or leave it globally set?

Is there reason for tx power level to be various ( range 1 to 4 ).

Allen

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd leave it all alone.  If your APs are controller-based, then if an AP should be detected to have failed by the controller, then the controller can ramp up the transmission power.

View solution in original post

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Allen,

In 99% of cases I'd agree with Leolaohoo, the only exception to that is if you are doing a site survey in order to do a new design/layout of ap's in the facility. If that is the end goal of your survey then yes I'd select the desired power level and hard set the AP's to that level for the duration of your survey but then return them to auto once complete.  As for your other question there are many reasons why some AP's maybe at a power level of 1 and others at 4 or anywhere inbetween.. This is a function of the Auto-RF systems adjusting the power levels to comply with the specified thresholds.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd leave it all alone.  If your APs are controller-based, then if an AP should be detected to have failed by the controller, then the controller can ramp up the transmission power.

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Allen,

In 99% of cases I'd agree with Leolaohoo, the only exception to that is if you are doing a site survey in order to do a new design/layout of ap's in the facility. If that is the end goal of your survey then yes I'd select the desired power level and hard set the AP's to that level for the duration of your survey but then return them to auto once complete.  As for your other question there are many reasons why some AP's maybe at a power level of 1 and others at 4 or anywhere inbetween.. This is a function of the Auto-RF systems adjusting the power levels to comply with the specified thresholds.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the ratings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card