cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple WAAS devices inline

CCampbell_2
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for info on having multiple WAAS devices inline.  Currently our topology looks like:

Alaska-574 <- T1 -> s0/0 Washington-574 s0/1 <- DS3 -> Data Center-7341

Attempts to install WAAS between Alaska and the Data Center, with no WAAS in Washington, failed with various performance issues that couldn't be adequately troubleshot due to time constraints. (ie. I slapped it in in the middle of the night and woke up to trouble tickets so a quick backout was necessary )

In the meantime I've since activated the WAAS software in Washington and it's happily optimizing data between Washington and the data center.

I'd like to turn WAAS back on at Alaska but am curious how this will work.  Do I need to put the wccp redirect commands on both serial interfaces in Washington? Or just the one facing the DC.  Will the WAAS box in Alaska optimize traffic only to Washington and then Washington will re-optimize it between Washington and the data center?  Or is it a direct connection between Alaska and the data center?

I'm running 4.2.1 and everything is using wccp to redirect.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!

Cliff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Cliff,

Are there hosts in Washington that you want hosts in Alaska to optimize connections with?  How is WCCP configured on the Washington serial interface right now ... I'm assuming you are using outbound redirection?

With WAAS enabled in all three sites, the auto-discovery mechanism will find the WAAS device closest to the client and server for each connection.  For example, a user in Alaska communicating with a server in the Data Center will be optimized by the Alaska and Data Center WAAS devices.  For this connection, the WAAS device in Washington will put the connection is pass-through because it detects that there are WAAS devices closer to the client and server than it is.

Regards,

Zach

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Cliff,

Are there hosts in Washington that you want hosts in Alaska to optimize connections with?  How is WCCP configured on the Washington serial interface right now ... I'm assuming you are using outbound redirection?

With WAAS enabled in all three sites, the auto-discovery mechanism will find the WAAS device closest to the client and server for each connection.  For example, a user in Alaska communicating with a server in the Data Center will be optimized by the Alaska and Data Center WAAS devices.  For this connection, the WAAS device in Washington will put the connection is pass-through because it detects that there are WAAS devices closer to the client and server than it is.

Regards,

Zach

Hi Zach, There aren't any connections between Alaska and Washington that I care about.  Our data center is where it's all at, Washington is just our transport site to connect the Alaska network with the rest of our WAN.  In Washington, WCCP redirection inbound is configured for service 61 on the LAN and 62 on the WAN toward the data center.

And that's great news that it auto-detects.  I feel much better then.  Sounds like I also don't need to configure wccp redirection at Washington on the Alaska/Washington link unless I want to optimize traffic there as well.  Would that be correct?

Cliff

Cliff,

You'll need to also configure Service Group 61 inbound on the serial interface connecting to Alaska.  This will allow for traffic from Alaska destined for the Data Center to be intercepted.  Service Group 62 is already configured on the interface between Washington and the Data Center, so it will intercept traffic for both Washington and Alaska in the return direction.

Regards,

Zach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: