cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP541N - very limited admin security

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

I've been using the SA520W for a few months now and just yesterday had shipped in an AP541N.  Expecting that the device would share a common interface, I wasn't disappointed.  However once I got into the menus a bit more, I began to see that in many ways, the AP541N is a step behind on basic features than the sa520W.  I mean  features that I would think should be common to call Small Business Pro products.

Example:  The device login password has a limit of 8 characters.  And, you can't change the default username from "cisco" to anything else.  Why not have these types of features be the same as the SA520W?  I know there may be differences in memory size or what not, but 8 characters?  Does anybody know if stuff like this is on the list of things to improve on?

it's not the end of the world, but not being able to change the username makes hacking the device pretty easy as there doesn't seem to be any lockout mechanism either (or at least not after 9 tries).

it's a nice product otherwise though, haven't actually used it yet but we'll see.

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Fair comment, but in the mean time, if you haven't done so already try the following ;

step 1.  create a management vlan for management purposes, maybe even not broadcast the SSID.

step 2.   use the access list to restrict management access.

step 3. why not use a radius server for central authentication of both AP users and wireless client.

I had the pleasure of trying out the new Network Attached Storage  device  (NSS324),  and test the built in  radius server application..

Check out the NSS324 app note on radius setup if you are interested in greater security.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/nass/csbcdp/smart_storage/app/note/Cisco_How_to_use_RADIUS_on_Smart_Storage.pdf

regards Dave

Dear all!

There's a possibility to change the name of the admin-user "cisco" to another by editing the saved configuration xml-file:

1) Save the configuration into the config.xml

2) Open the saved configuration file config.xml in a texteditor

3) Search for cisco

4) Change it to your-admin-account

5) Save the config.xml

6) Upload the config-file to your AP541N and reboot

7) Login with the new Username

At the moment I didn't find where and how the password is stored. I also didnt't try out what happens, when the firmare is updated. Perhaps the custom admin-name is overwriten.

regards,

Woger