Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Generic Optimization

damats
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I did numerous searches so I apolozie in advance if this has already been addressed.

In the past few days, I observed that SMB connections between our sites have become increasingly slow and, at times, unresponsive.  This seems to loosely correlate to a number of logs in the WAAS indicating that connections to the domain controllers will be handled by generic optimization only, since the domain controllers require digitial signing.

4 Replies 4

damats
Level 1
Level 1

I apologize for the previous post, I did not intend to submit it yet.

As I was saying, I have seen a number of logs in the WAAS device indicating that connections to the domain controllers will be handled by generic optimization only, since the domain controllers require digital signing.

I was hoping to reach out to the community to see if anyone else has observed this particular symptom as a result of generic optimization or had any useful links or documentation regarding what happens when generic optimization is forced.

I apologize again for the duplicate messages and thanks in advance.

David,

Take a look at the following post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2029654?tstart=0

If you still have questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Zach

Zach,

Thanks for the reply.  If SMB is being pushed to generic optimization, then those packets wouldn't cross with any real optimization, is that correct?  In other words, from a latency perspective, that data would appear to not be optimized at all since they are signed.

The issue I am seeing is also intermittent but during the certain time it seems that it takes users longer (we timed this) to list the contents of a share and download the files.  After some time, it seems that when a lot of users are having this issue it compounds and slower and slower to the point where it takes almost 20 minutes to list the directory contents.

Have you experience similar issues with the WAAS?

Thanks again,

David

Hi David,

When a connection is handled with generic optimization, it means that we are only apply the TCP-level throughput and compression optimizations.  So depending on the WAN characteristics, you may not see any improvement in end user response time.  You should, however, still see some bandwidth reduction across the WAN for connections handled with generic optimization.

Zach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: