Views
Helpful
Replies

lock/unlock for cisco phone

ali nasser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have call manager 7.1.3 and i need to lock the cisco phone while out of office so nobody can call outside lines.

and also i need to get report i don't mean CDR just normal record for extension.

thnaks

10 Replies 10

To lock/ un lock the IP phone you need third party application

What you mean by normal record??

hi

thanks for your reply, what kind of third-party.

mean that if i don't have billing system to give records, is there any thing simple forum from cisco call manager.

Regards,

check this link

http://www.andtek.com/index.html

regarding the reporting I think you just have CDR

if it is helpful please rate.

hi,

please can you explain more about the third party and how can I get it?

Regards

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ali,

You do not need a 3rd party software for locking/unlocking a phone.  You can do this with the CUCM platform quite easily.  One approach could be to use extension mobility and the other approach would involve using time of day (ToD) routing.  In both approaches you need to be comfortable with calling search spaces and partitions.

Example 1:  Extension Mobility

/*note I am not showing the entire dial plan, just the pieces that matter for the example.  This is a simplified example.*/

PSTN_PT:  Partition that contains route patterns for PSTN (e.g. 9.1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx, 911, 9.911, et.)

BlockPSTN_PT: Partition that contains translation pattern to block PSTN (e.g. 9.1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx [ BLOCK ])

Phone_CSS:  Assigned to the Device level of the IP phone.  Contains PSTN_PT

NonEMLine_CSS:  Assigned to the line level of the IP phone (logged out device).  Contains BlockPSTN_PT.

Assume that your device profile (used for EM) has no CSS assigned to the line.  This means that the device CSS is the only partition list used when the EM profile is logged into the phone.  When you log out at the end of the day, the BlockPSTN_PT is reapplied to the IP phone and people cannot call off net.  Note, that I recommend you still allow 911 call routing from these phones.

Example 2:  ToD Routing

PSTN_PT:  Partition that  contains route patterns for PSTN (e.g. 9.1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx, 911,  9.911, et.)

BlockPSTN_PT: Partition that contains translation  pattern to block PSTN (e.g. 9.1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx [ BLOCK ]).  This partition is also assigned a Time of Day schedule that corresponds with your core business hours.  However, instead of the typical approach we are enabling this partition during your "after hours" time slots.

Phone_CSS:   Assigned to the Device level of the IP phone.  Contains PSTN_PT

Line_CSS:   Assigned to the line level of the IP phone.   Contains BlockPSTN_PT.

With this approach you don't need to log in/out of the phone.  When the ToD schedule is engaged then the BlockPSTN_PT is enabled and off net calls are effectively blocked.

Please note that when you place a phone call from the line of a Cisco IP phone the effective calling search space is a composite of the line level and device level CSS with the line level taking precedence.  So:

Line level CSS:  A_PT, D_PT

Device level CSS: B_PT, C_PT

Effective CSS:  A_PT, D_PT, B_PT, C_PT

Also note that the CUCM digit analysis engine prefers the longest matching pattern.  So,

9901 is a longer match than 990X and will always be chosen, no matter what the partition order is.

Finally, if two patterns are identical then the partition order breaks the tie.   Using the effective CSS example above, if we had:

99XX in D_PT and another 99XX in C_PT then the pattern in D_PT will be chosen by the CUCM digit analysis engine.  And, if the 99XX pattern in D_PT happened to be configured to block calls to 99XX then you have effectively blocked the calls.

Going back to our examples, the EM profile approach is basically assuming that calls are restricted by default.  you have to logon with a privileged EM account to be able to place calls.  EM profiles have their own line CSS's that overwrite the line CSS on the device the user logs onto.  The ToD approach assumes that all is allowed until a ToD schedule enables the blocking partition.

Hopefully this is clear.  The concept aren't the most advanced ones in the Cisco dial plan, but they are intermediate levl and when you start combining different features to achieve an overall objective, it may get kinda hairy.   Anyway.  Let us know if something is unclear on that front.

Now as far as getting a report.  If you want a list of extensions you can go to Call Routing>Route Plan Report.  Click on the "view in file" option and this will download a CSV with your entire route plan.  All you need to do is load it in Excel and apply a filter on the "Pattern Usage" column.  Set it to "Device" and there are your extensions.  If you need more data than you can look at BAT export options.  There is also Cisco Unified Reporting, but from a phone/line point of view the CUR reporting is better at showing you what is out of whack rather than a raw list of what you have.  Finally, you can run SQL queries from the CLI or via the AXL/Soap API (i.e. Axl Sql Query tool).   Start with the first approach (Route Plan Report) and see where that takes you.  Again, no third party tool needed for that.  At least based on the requirements you have presented thus far.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

hi bell,

I always wonder to lock my ip phone, but my quation is how to lock the phone when I'm locking out, knowing that when I disconnected my profile follows is not on the same phone, so I'd like to have a trick that I shall reiceive my calls even if I'm log in in other phone

Regards

Souha

mo.ragheb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ali,

Xeno Solutions (www.xeno-solutions.com) provides a good bundle of applications for IP Phones, including the Phone Lock feature.  It is very simple to install and I have personally deployed it for many large scale clients.

Hope that helps

Mohamed

jsouhair17
Level 1
Level 1

hi mohamed,

how can I expect to benefit from this offer for the phone lock? is it free? because I do not even find their email.

Regards

Souhair

Hi,

Check out the Cisco IP Phone LOck/Unlock Application at http://www.parsec-tech.com/index.html

Hi,

We are a Cisco developer partner and we have a phone lock application that integrate with CUCM

Please let me know if u are interested

Kind Regards

Mohamed Abdallah

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: