Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco support contract

harisapkota123
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sir,

I need to update my IPS Signature on ASA5510-AIP-SSM automatically, From my local Cisco representative i got 2 product numbers

to obtain the IP address of FTP server , username and password (Cisco support contract)

In this case which one should i use among:

1) CON-SU1-ASAINC10

2) CON-SU1-AS1A10K9

Thanx in advance

4 Replies 4

Siddharth Chandrachud
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hari,

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly.

CON-SU1-ASAINC10 : This is the SMARTNET contract service agreement.

CON-SU1-AS1A10K9 : This is the Cisco Software license agreement.

You mentioned you needed to update the signatures on your ASA5510-AIP-SSM and hence you needed a license key
For that you need to do the following:

1. Make sure the serial number of the AIP-SSM module (not just the ASA) is correctly added to your smartnet contract.
Contact your Cisco rep and verify this.

2. Open a TAC case with problem description "Requesting IPS license for AIP-SSM module with serial number <> "

Hope that helps.

Sid Chandrachud
Customer Support Engineer
Cisco TAC- IDS.

I forgot to mention, once you have valid license key then check the link below which explains how to

setup auto-signatures updates on IPS via the IDM.

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/6bc6d

Sid Chandrachud

Customer Support Engineer

Cisco TAC- IDS.

CON-SU1-ASAINC10 : This is the SMARTNET contract service agreement.

CON-SU1-AS1A10K9 : This is the Cisco Software license agreement.

This is interesting.

1.      What is the difference between SMARNET & Cisco Software license agreements?

2.      What is the meaning of the following code?

a.     CON

b.     SU1

c.      ASAINC10

d.    AS1A10K9

cvilleme
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure I understand your query.  If you're asking, "How do I enable my AIP-SSM-10 sensor to receive automatic IPS signature updates?", then first and foremost you will need to have a valid IPS services license applied to your sensor.  The sensor can function fully without a license, but it cannot receive signature updates without a license.

All you should need to obtain an IPS license key is a valid IPS support contact and the serial number of the AIP-SSM-10 sensor.  You can login at http://www.cisco.com/go/license and follow the instructions there to obtain a license key.  Alternatively, you can email licensing@cisco.com and provide the IPS device serial number and this will create an automatic ticket with the Cisco licensing team, who can then generate and email a license key to you.

Once you have a valid license key applied to the sensor, you can automatically apply signature updates by one of two methods.  Method #1 is half manual, half automatic, and method #2 is fully automatic.

Method #1:

Manually download the signature updates and place them on an FTP, SCP, or HTTP/HTTPS server accessible by the sensor, and then point the sensor at the download server to check on a scheduled basis for newly found updates.

Method #2:

Configure the sensor to download the signature update directly from cisco.com and apply it automatically.  For this to work, the sensor needs unfettered HTTP (tcp/80) and HTTPS (tcp/443) access to Cisco's website.

More information on automatic upgrades from Cisco IPS CLI User Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ips/7.0/configuration/guide/cli/cli_system_images.html#wp1045915

Regards,
Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card