Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco support contract

harisapkota123
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sir,

I need to update my IPS Signature on ASA5510-AIP-SSM automatically, From my local Cisco representative i got 2 product numbers

to obtain the IP address of FTP server , username and password (Cisco support contract)

In this case which one should i use among:

1) CON-SU1-ASAINC10

2) CON-SU1-AS1A10K9

Thanx in advance

4 Replies 4

Siddharth Chandrachud
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hari,

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly.

CON-SU1-ASAINC10 : This is the SMARTNET contract service agreement.

CON-SU1-AS1A10K9 : This is the Cisco Software license agreement.

You mentioned you needed to update the signatures on your ASA5510-AIP-SSM and hence you needed a license key
For that you need to do the following:

1. Make sure the serial number of the AIP-SSM module (not just the ASA) is correctly added to your smartnet contract.
Contact your Cisco rep and verify this.

2. Open a TAC case with problem description "Requesting IPS license for AIP-SSM module with serial number <> "

Hope that helps.

Sid Chandrachud
Customer Support Engineer
Cisco TAC- IDS.

I forgot to mention, once you have valid license key then check the link below which explains how to

setup auto-signatures updates on IPS via the IDM.

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/6bc6d

Sid Chandrachud

Customer Support Engineer

Cisco TAC- IDS.

CON-SU1-ASAINC10 : This is the SMARTNET contract service agreement.

CON-SU1-AS1A10K9 : This is the Cisco Software license agreement.

This is interesting.

1.      What is the difference between SMARNET & Cisco Software license agreements?

2.      What is the meaning of the following code?

a.     CON

b.     SU1

c.      ASAINC10

d.    AS1A10K9

cvilleme
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure I understand your query.  If you're asking, "How do I enable my AIP-SSM-10 sensor to receive automatic IPS signature updates?", then first and foremost you will need to have a valid IPS services license applied to your sensor.  The sensor can function fully without a license, but it cannot receive signature updates without a license.

All you should need to obtain an IPS license key is a valid IPS support contact and the serial number of the AIP-SSM-10 sensor.  You can login at http://www.cisco.com/go/license and follow the instructions there to obtain a license key.  Alternatively, you can email licensing@cisco.com and provide the IPS device serial number and this will create an automatic ticket with the Cisco licensing team, who can then generate and email a license key to you.

Once you have a valid license key applied to the sensor, you can automatically apply signature updates by one of two methods.  Method #1 is half manual, half automatic, and method #2 is fully automatic.

Method #1:

Manually download the signature updates and place them on an FTP, SCP, or HTTP/HTTPS server accessible by the sensor, and then point the sensor at the download server to check on a scheduled basis for newly found updates.

Method #2:

Configure the sensor to download the signature update directly from cisco.com and apply it automatically.  For this to work, the sensor needs unfettered HTTP (tcp/80) and HTTPS (tcp/443) access to Cisco's website.

More information on automatic upgrades from Cisco IPS CLI User Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ips/7.0/configuration/guide/cli/cli_system_images.html#wp1045915

Regards,
Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: