Views
Helpful
Replies

Retrieving voicemail on outlook

rmrahman0302
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using Unity Connection 7.0  and exchange 2010. All the mail boxes are created for the users. Now I want to retreive voicemail on my outlook whenever I get voicemail on my phone. What is the step by step procedure to do that and how to map those mailboxes to each user at outlook?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Well, first Unity Connection is not dependent upon Exchange.  Unity Connection, at least as it is today, is a standalone messaging system.  You will not be setting up IMAP to Exchange or touching Exchange for this to work.  You have 3 options.  The first is Integrated Messaging - this is IMAP.  You will set up an IMAP connection from your OUTLOOK client to the Unity Connection server.  You can facilitate using your "corporate" SMTP address if you prefer that over using the Unity Connection SMTP address.  To do this, you need to configure the corporate email address for each user as an alias in Unity Connection.

The other 2 options for getting voicemail to Exchange are similar.  They rely on SMTP relay and no IMAP is involved.  The first option is store and forward. The other is relay only. In these setups, mail from Unity Connection is forwarded to your Exchange email address via an SMTP relay server.  The messages land in your inbox as opposed to an IMAP folder; however, there are trade-off's and things to know regarding each one.  Read this blog for more info:  http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/voicemail-only-voicemail-relay-and-integrated-messaging-options-with-unity-connection.html?blogger=William+Bell

If what you want/expect is more of a Unified Messaging scenario - i.e., all the voicemail is stored in Exchange then unfortunately you have the wrong product for that.  Cisco Unity is the UM platform at this time.  Unity Connection will be introducing Unified Messaging in beta testing in version 8.5(1); however, there is no timeframe that I know of for which this will be publicly available as a standard feature.  For now, it is EFT (Early Field Trial aka Beta).

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

Take a look at the section on Subject Line configuration here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/gui_reference/guide/7xcucgrg100.html#wp1051605

Hailey

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Hailey,

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to create another email address and setup IMAP on exchange server. Is it possible to use my existing email address to retrieve the voicemail?

Thanks.

Well, first Unity Connection is not dependent upon Exchange.  Unity Connection, at least as it is today, is a standalone messaging system.  You will not be setting up IMAP to Exchange or touching Exchange for this to work.  You have 3 options.  The first is Integrated Messaging - this is IMAP.  You will set up an IMAP connection from your OUTLOOK client to the Unity Connection server.  You can facilitate using your "corporate" SMTP address if you prefer that over using the Unity Connection SMTP address.  To do this, you need to configure the corporate email address for each user as an alias in Unity Connection.

The other 2 options for getting voicemail to Exchange are similar.  They rely on SMTP relay and no IMAP is involved.  The first option is store and forward. The other is relay only. In these setups, mail from Unity Connection is forwarded to your Exchange email address via an SMTP relay server.  The messages land in your inbox as opposed to an IMAP folder; however, there are trade-off's and things to know regarding each one.  Read this blog for more info:  http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/voicemail-only-voicemail-relay-and-integrated-messaging-options-with-unity-connection.html?blogger=William+Bell

If what you want/expect is more of a Unified Messaging scenario - i.e., all the voicemail is stored in Exchange then unfortunately you have the wrong product for that.  Cisco Unity is the UM platform at this time.  Unity Connection will be introducing Unified Messaging in beta testing in version 8.5(1); however, there is no timeframe that I know of for which this will be publicly available as a standard feature.  For now, it is EFT (Early Field Trial aka Beta).

Hailey

Thanks again Hailey for expalining the different options. I think, option 2 is the best option for me. So I have to go each user and assign each individuals email address for relaying the message.

Hi Hailey,

When I get an e-mail from an outside phone number, it shows up as a Message from Unknown sender. Although if I play the message detail on your phone it has the caller ID number. Is there any way so that it sends the caller-id to the e-mail?

Thanks.

Take a look at the section on Subject Line configuration here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/gui_reference/guide/7xcucgrg100.html#wp1051605

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: