Views
Helpful
Replies

COBRAS message timestamp issue

jessakhanian
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We are getting ready to upgrade from Unity 4.0.5 to CUC 7.1.5.  We have already run the COBRAS export on Unity box and the Unity Connetion box is being prepared for the import.  I was looking at the data using the COBRAS data viewer, and noticed that all messages had a timestamp that was 7 hours off (ahead).  I looked at the log file of the export itself, and the messages have the right timestamp according to what I see in that log file.  No issues on the old Unity box in terms of messages having the wrong time.  Only see this in the Data Viewer.

Has anyone else seen this before?  I assume it's not normal and was going to import just a couple of users and see what their message timestamp looks like, but I thought I would ask to see if someone might have had the same problem as us here.

Thanks.

Joseph

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm guessing the Unity server you backed up was in GMT -7 hours (Arizona or Mountain time perhaps?).

The message time stamps are stored in UDT (like GMT without daylight savings time) - the client that presents them (Outlook, Connection voice messaging service etc...) are responsible for translating them into whatever time zone they should be in.  When you restore those to Unity or Connection the timezone of the server will be reflected properly when you access the messages.

-J

Hi Jeff,

Sounds like you have seen this scenario before.  I hope you're right. I checked on the servers and they're in the correct Pacific (GMT -8) timezone, so I guess they should have been off 8 hours?  I can double check, but I thought I was off 7 hours.  Tomorrow is when I find out how this import will work.  I'll update this post after I go through that.

Thanks.

Joseph

Just to be clear, this isn't an issue... and yes, I've seen it before, I wrote COBRAS.

That's how the messages are stored in in the message database - COBRAS does no translation or changing of timestamps of any kind - that's the message info as it comes out of the Unity (Exchange/Domino) or Connection (SQL) data stores raw.

UDT and GMT aren't the same thing - UDT does not use daylight savings time so will be an hour off half the year.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the explanation.  Sound like this won't be an issue, so we won't worry about it.  We have not run the import yet as it was re-scheduled for next weekend.

Thanks again.

Joseph

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: