Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Pix 501/506e throughput

derekascott
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am looking at buying a Cisco Pix router for home use.

I've been working in IT for 8 years or so, and I'm looking to try something a little different at home. I've also been in the market for a router that will seemlessly VPN with my Mac. From what I've read, many are able to easily VPN in to their Pix 501s with their Macs.

With that said, I've done a plethora of reading about the Cisco Pix, and I want to get one for my home network.

I'm looking into two different routers, maybe three.

Pix 501 with a 50 user license and 3DES enabled Cisco Pix 6.3(5)

Pix 506e with an unlimited user and 3DES enabled. Cisco Pix 6.3(5)

Possibly Pix 515, probably not though, overkill. But it utilizes the Cisco ASDM.

With all that said. Does anyone run these at home? I have a 15Mb cable connection, and I want to ensure that the firewall can handle that and won't limit my connection speed internally.

Would a Pix 501 handle that? I've read through several other threads saying it does 60Mb cleartext throughput?

I want to get the full amount of bandwidth to my internal network on interface 1.

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

Jitendriya Athavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

u would want to buy ASA bcoz thats the in thing. pix 501/506e can run on only 6.3 version of codeand cisco is soon gonna stop supporting it.

for home use and vpn you can buy 5505 which should be enough, here is a document which will give you idea about various ASA products and features

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/product_data_sheet0900aecd802930c5.html

I've looked into the ASA, and I'd love to get one, but with only a 10 user license, they're out of my budget for the project.

oh is it, not sure how these products fare money wise : ), however i think you can request for more user license but i am not sure how much extra is it gonna cost to buy that license

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card