Views
Helpful
Replies

ISL link between 9216A and 9222i

emresumengen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

A customer of ours are using 9216A's currently. They are thinking to buy new 9222i's and connect them with the existing 9216A's via ISLs. Would there be any incompatibilities or problems to expect?

I have searched around and besides the feature differences, I've yet to come across any inter-switch compatibility document.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Emre

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ozden Karakok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Emre,

There are no incompatibility issues connecting MDS 9216A to MDS 9222i via ISL. (with PC , xE ports or ISL)

Only important thing that your customer has to be aware is on MDS 9216A, they can only load NX-OS 3.X.

MDS 9216A will not be supported in NX-OS 4.X code. Depending on the features that your customer would like to implement later on he/she might end up having two different NX-OS versions in their SAN. For extending their SAN in the initial phase there will not be any issues connecting MDS 9216A to MDS 9222i, for long term they might consider migrating to MDS 9222is or MDS director switches.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ozden Karakok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Emre,

There are no incompatibility issues connecting MDS 9216A to MDS 9222i via ISL. (with PC , xE ports or ISL)

Only important thing that your customer has to be aware is on MDS 9216A, they can only load NX-OS 3.X.

MDS 9216A will not be supported in NX-OS 4.X code. Depending on the features that your customer would like to implement later on he/she might end up having two different NX-OS versions in their SAN. For extending their SAN in the initial phase there will not be any issues connecting MDS 9216A to MDS 9222i, for long term they might consider migrating to MDS 9222is or MDS director switches.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I'm already trying to persuade them into getting themselves some 9500 series, but they want to see how it might work out (with budget-wise thoughts I believe).

Thanks again.