CAD installation on desktop with Windows 7

Answered Question
Jul 20th, 2010

Hi,

I tried installing CAD on a system with Windows 7 OS and the installer gave me an error "OS platform not supported".

I am thinking of putting a virtual PC and install Windows XP and then install CAD on it as I am not allowed to downgrade the OS of system.Do you have a better idea on how I can implement the same also which all OS's are supported for CAD.

Regards

Amit

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Dennis Aston about 6 years 6 months ago

I just tried this today and I was curious myself.  Using Windows 7 x64 , uccx 7.0.1(sr5).  Had the same problems you mentioned until I right clicked on the saved MSI file, went to the compatiblity tab, marked it for "Previous versions of windows" and then did the install.  It worked fine.  I then right clicked on the Agent icon after install and chose properties and then on the Compatibility tab, chose Windows XP sp3.  I haven't run into any problems so far but its the little things that will kill you on something like this, IE monitoring or getting calls directed to agents .  I haven't tried any testing so far so I just don't know yet.  This is how I have gotten to this point though so it may help.

Overall Rating: 4 (3 ratings)
William Bell Tue, 07/20/2010 - 05:13

Here is the compatibility information for Windows 7 and UC apps:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7046/ps7282/product_bulletin_c25-563280_ps427_Products_Bulletin.html

UCCE

For CAD, support for Windows 7 32-bit is version 7.5(8)  and 8.0 [Q1CY10].  Support for Windows 7 64-bit is version 8.5 [Q4CY10]

UCCX

For CAD, support for Windows 7 32-bit is version 7.0(2) [Q4CY10] and 8.0(1)  [Q1CY10].  Support for Windows 7 64-bit is TBD.

(Note, Q1CY10 means first quarter of calendar year 2010).

A workaround that I have seen referenced but have not tried myself:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/2015821#2015821

There is apparently a way to get CAD (UCCX-CAD) running in XP compatibility mode.  Later on in the same thread, someone mentions a tool that can be used to mess around with the .MSI.

I suppose a vmware would be fine too.  I have had to use vmware fusion (on a Mac) to deal with Cisco's lack of support for modern operating systems.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

amitprshad Tue, 07/20/2010 - 05:26

Hi Bill,

I am using UCCX 7.0.

Let me try that.Will let you know the result.

Regards

Amit

Correct Answer
Dennis Aston Tue, 07/20/2010 - 09:03

I just tried this today and I was curious myself.  Using Windows 7 x64 , uccx 7.0.1(sr5).  Had the same problems you mentioned until I right clicked on the saved MSI file, went to the compatiblity tab, marked it for "Previous versions of windows" and then did the install.  It worked fine.  I then right clicked on the Agent icon after install and chose properties and then on the Compatibility tab, chose Windows XP sp3.  I haven't run into any problems so far but its the little things that will kill you on something like this, IE monitoring or getting calls directed to agents .  I haven't tried any testing so far so I just don't know yet.  This is how I have gotten to this point though so it may help.

amitprshad Thu, 07/22/2010 - 01:52

Hi Dennis and Bill,

I was able to install the CAD succesfully on the Windows 7 system by saving  MSI file, went to the compatiblity tab, marked it for "Previous versions of windows" and then did the install.  It worked fine.Then right clicked on the Agent icon after install and chose properties and then on the Compatibility tab, chose Windows XP sp3.The CAD window launched and is working normally.

I am still doing other testings will let you know the update.Thanks to both of you.

Reagrds

Amit 

amitprshad Tue, 07/27/2010 - 18:30

Hi,

I tested the CAD fucntionality after installation on Win 7 and all the features are working without any issues.

Thanks Dennis and Bill once again.

Regards

Amit

joesnyde Thu, 07/29/2010 - 05:59

Be aware that CAD for UCCX 7 on Windows 7 and VMWare is unsupported. The first support for Windows 7 is UCCX 8.

Joe

Dennis Aston Thu, 07/29/2010 - 06:28

Joe, if we waited for vendors to get their act together our lives would be a living hell. Windows XP is ancient, Vista had its share of issues and wasn't highly adopted, and now windows 7 has been out nearly a year (as of RTM date) and still we are waiting on supported product.

Frankly I think I am justified in my anger. This is what a beta period is for. Vendors should test then.

Dennis Aston

Communications Engineer

MuniServices, LLC

C 559-240-0657

O 559-271-6807

Sent from my BlackBerry

joesnyde Thu, 07/29/2010 - 06:49

Hi Dennis,

The reason I mentioned that UCCX 7 does not support VM Ware or Windows 7, is that I did not want to see someone deploy a 300 seat call center only to find out later that all the work that was done is not supported by Cisco TAC. If having the latest and greast OS or application is something that you need then why are using a two year old version of UCCX when a new version, UCCX 8.0.2, supports both VM Ware and Windows 7.

Joe

Dennis Aston Thu, 07/29/2010 - 09:07

Honestly Joe, I do know where you are coming from, and you are right in your 300 seat warning perspective.  Honestly I think somebody in charge of a

300 seat deployment would be looking at the matrix more carefully than that and probably wouldn't be attempting a windows 7 rollout unsupported, but you never can tell so thanks for throwing that in there.

Dennis Aston Thu, 07/29/2010 - 09:13

Joe, maybe you can clarify something for me.  You said VMWare on 8.0(2) is supported.  Isn't that just the Cisco UCS platform version of VMWare?  Or in other words Virtualized on the UCS system?

joesnyde Thu, 07/29/2010 - 12:21

Hi Brad,

FCS, First Customer Shipment, at some point all UCCX products have this in the title, including 7.0.1. That has been the case here at Cisco for serveral years. At this point 8.0 has been updated to 8.0.2 and we are releasing 8.5.1 in the near future. About people reading documents; I cannot tell you how many times customers have not read the compatibility matrix. On several occaisions I have received calls from people wondering why CAD (UCCX7) will not install on Windows 7. Recently we had a customer just deploy Windows 7 to all his workstations throughout the entire company and then only discovered after the roll-out that UCCX7 does not support Windows 7. These are common TAC Service Requests. Fortunately the customer was able to upgrade to UCCX8 and not have to roll back to WinXP. Regardless of the call center size, people just forget to read all the documents. For you VM question, you are correct it is only for the server side that can virtualized. However, we still support Citrix and Terminal Services for CAD agents.

Thank you,

Joe

Dennis Aston Thu, 07/29/2010 - 09:05

Lets see.  Why would I avoid the 8.x series of UCCX?  Wait, thats the first shippment of the linux version right?  Yeah, not with a 10 foot pole.  I try to avoid anything with FCS in the title.

As far as 7.0(2) goes, thats not slated until the end of this year.  I still stand by my statements.  Its not simply a "latest and greatest" mentality.  There are serious issues with both XP and Vista from security and usability standpoints respectively.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7046/ps7282/product_bulletin_c25-563280.html

texasjet79 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 16:18

I am seeing conflicting documentation from Cisco regarding CAD/CSD support on Windows 7 64-bit.

Is CAD and CSD supported on Windwos 7 64-OS running as a 32-bit program (WoW64). According to some Cisco dosucments it is and then on others it is not.

We are using UCCX 8.0(2)

anubhati Wed, 11/10/2010 - 16:27

Can you let me know which document or documents stated windows 7 64 bit is supported for CAD/CSD ?

Thank you

Anuj

Actions

This Discussion