Subinterface

Answered Question
Jul 20th, 2010

Hi

Can someone tell me  what documentation could i go to that will tell me how to create a subinterface

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Ganesh Hariharan about 6 years 4 months ago

Hi

Can someone tell me  what documentation could i go to that will tell me how to create a subinterface

Hi,

From interface configuration mode, you can enter subinterface configuration mode. Subinterface configuration mode is a submode of interface configuration mode. In subinterface configuration mode you can configure multiple virtual interfaces (called subinterfaces) on a single physical interface.

In the following example, a subinterface is configured for serial line 2, which is configured for Frame Relay encapsulation. The subinterface is identified as "2.1" to indicate that it is subinterface 1 of serial interface 2. The new prompt hostname(config-subif)# indicates subinterface configuration mode. The subinterface can be configured to support one or more Frame Relay PVCs.

Router(config)# interface serial 2
Router(config-if)# encapsulation frame-relay
Router(config-if)# interface serial 2.1
Router(config-subif)#

To exit subinterface configuration mode and return to interface configuration mode, use the exit command. To end your configuration session and return to privileged EXEC mode, press Ctrl-Z or enter the end command.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Overall Rating: 4 (3 ratings)
Correct Answer
Ganesh Hariharan Tue, 07/20/2010 - 23:52

Hi

Hi,

From interface configuration mode, you can enter subinterface configuration mode. Subinterface configuration mode is a submode of interface configuration mode. In subinterface configuration mode you can configure multiple virtual interfaces (called subinterfaces) on a single physical interface.

In the following example, a subinterface is configured for serial line 2, which is configured for Frame Relay encapsulation. The subinterface is identified as "2.1" to indicate that it is subinterface 1 of serial interface 2. The new prompt hostname(config-subif)# indicates subinterface configuration mode. The subinterface can be configured to support one or more Frame Relay PVCs.

Router(config)# interface serial 2
Router(config-if)# encapsulation frame-relay
Router(config-if)# interface serial 2.1
Router(config-subif)#

To exit subinterface configuration mode and return to interface configuration mode, use the exit command. To end your configuration session and return to privileged EXEC mode, press Ctrl-Z or enter the end command.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

vinod.agrahari Mon, 08/09/2010 - 02:58

Please read Router on Stick concept from the Cisco documentation.

It will provide you the effective idea to create subinterface of any interface.

Regards

Vinod Agrahari

Actions

This Discussion