cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV-082 Can't pull DHCP IP address from cable modem

ratsucker
Level 1
Level 1

A RV-082 dual-WAN router we installed cannot pull an IP address from the cable co.'s cable modem.  The WAN2 field stays at 0.0.0.0 even after repeated DHCP requests are issued, at the command of the web-based management page.  A laptop connected via the same cable to the modem pulls an address successfully.  also, a static IP is assigned to the service.  When programmed into the RV082, it will not respond to ping from the WAN side via this IP address.  The router otherwise works fine, the WAN 1 port is connected to an ADSL modem which works fine.  The router is configured in 'fall-back' dual-WAN mode.  Any assistance in discovering why these devices don't work together would be most greatly appreciated.

5 Replies 5

ilansaadia
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having the same issue with this router.  At times it simply will not pull an ip address from the cable modem.  I keep losing connectivity randomly and have no idea why.

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Can you use a cross-over cable between the cable modem and your router port

and see if that helps? If that is not possible, then if you have a spare

hub, connect it between the router and the cable modem.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

I will try one or both of these methods tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

k

I tried both a switch in between the cable modem and RV-082, and a 'flip' cable.  Neither of these methods have worked.  Our customer is not impressed with our choice of hardware, and expects to have the unit replaced forthwith.  Any more suggestions would be most welcome.

PAUL TRIVINO
Level 3
Level 3

My cable modem at home will not issue a DHCP address to a 'new' connected device without the cable modem being power cycled first.  That or hve the 'new' device use the same MAC as the 'old' one if possible.  But try power cycling it first.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco