cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Generating RMON SNMP Traps

rich_foster
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to generate SNMP traps from RMON events but they won't work.  I have the following test configuration:

snmp-server host 10.1.1.1 version 2c TEST

snmp-server enable traps

rmon event 1 log trap PUBLIC description "TEST TEST TEST" owner config

rmon alarm 1 ifOutUcastPkts.6 5 delta rising-threshold 100 1 falling-threshold 50 1 owner config

When I enable 'debug snmp packet' I see don't see any packets being generated.  I do see %RMON-5 syslog messages but I don't see any "TEST TEST TEST" messages in the console, although I do see them here:

show rmon events
Event 1 is active, owned by config
Description is TEST TEST TEST
Event firing causes log and trap to community PUBLIC,
last event fired at  0y0w0d,01:03:09,
Current uptime       0y0w0d,01:05:58
Current log entries:
  index  uptime              description
  1      0y0w0d,01:02:59     TEST TEST TEST
  2      0y0w0d,01:03:04     TEST TEST TEST
  3      0y0w0d,01:03:09     TEST TEST TEST

Am I missing something?  Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your RMON event community is PUBLIC, but your trap host is using community TEST.  Set these two so that they agree.  You will not see

the description on the console.  You will only see that a rising or falling condition has occurred.

If you want more flexibility on these syslogs or traps, consider using EEM instead of RMON.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your RMON event community is PUBLIC, but your trap host is using community TEST.  Set these two so that they agree.  You will not see

the description on the console.  You will only see that a rising or falling condition has occurred.

If you want more flexibility on these syslogs or traps, consider using EEM instead of RMON.

Doh! - Thanks for your quick response

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco