Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS 7800 - 7828-I4 SysMgt port?

Hi,

Back on my mcs 7828i4 is there a "sys mgt" port, with the ethernet symbol (same symbol on the NICs).

I cannot find any infomation about this port in documentations anywhere. I am lookin for a way of remote system management like HP Integrated Lights Out (iLO)

regards

Bo

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Not an IBM person myself, but I understand it's an RSA card.

See this post : https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1330770#1330770

Also this page has some links to user guides etc at the end: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Remote_Supervisor_Adapter

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

not a IBM person my self.

my server is a "cisco hardware" not a IBM or HP standard server.

I can se a physical port on back where the text "sys mgt" is located. How do i enable this port for remote management of the OS?

I think i need to purchase some kind of hardware card there can be inserted into the cisco server

Regards

Bo

Hi Bo

Cisco do not make servers - they make the blue front panel that replaces the standard HP or IBM front panel.

In your model number, the 'i' means it's IBM. So for example, an MCS-7845-H2 would be HP, rebadged as Cisco. an MCS-7845-I2 would be the IBM equivalent of the same server, badged as Cisco.

What this means in practice is that you can find out the equivalent server model number from IBM, and get the detailed help/docs you need for that hardware for lots of places other than just Cisco. I'm not sure what the IBM model number is for a 7828 but chances are the RSA cards are reasonably consistent accross the platforms as the iLOs are with HPs.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Ah, i just have an "i se the light now... " moment :-)

Thx for sharing the info. It make more sense now. I will look into IBM servers (normaly i use HP servers for server platform)

/Bo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: