cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to troubleshoot "static-parse" errors (help please)

crp0809dhc
Level 1
Level 1

I know the fix for parse-length errors is to apply an application-paramter that extends the parse length  (though I am frustrated that the ACE won't log what class-maps had the parsing-length error)

But -- How do you fix STATIC-Parse errors.   I assume the browser send an "illegal" character in a post -- but how do I find those -- or how can I have the ACE ignore.

I vaguely remember a command about STRICT urls -- but can't find any references to it.

Running A3 (2.5)

Thanks and regards,

2 Replies 2

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dan,

Generally, Static Parse Errors happen when you are trying to perform some HTTP operation on a non-HTTP packet.  For example, maybe you are tyring to look up an HTTP header, or cookie, but the traffic is not HTTP, then you will see Static Parse Errors.

The only way to find out would be to get a capture of the traffic that is triggering the errors and see if it is not matching the correct packet type for what the ACE is trying to do to it or find in it.

Sean

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We only parse the http header either to find a cookie or a header name or to find a specific url...

The static parse error can occur if you have an illegal character in any of these locations.

We have removed some of the restrictions .... but we are still very strict when parsing cookies.

If a cookie value or name contains spaces, or other illegal character that triggers an error.

In order to find the exact error, you will need to capture the offending packet with a sniffer trace and then inspect the cookies.

Also note that a static parse error does not forces the connection to be closed.

We just stop parsing and fall back to the default class and perform a normall loadbalance operation (no stickyness).

Regards,

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: