cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pinging or TFTPing between two ASA's

rbill1967
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ASA's, soon to have several more out in the field connecting little networks together.  My main ASA has a site to site built between itself and another ASA (Main ASA5520 / Other ASA5505).

I can SSH or telnet to the 5505, even to its internal IP, but my current problem is although within the network I cannot ping other devices from the 5505, which is contained within our network.  I try to update the ASA using TFTP but that fails as well.  I know it has something to do with icmp but I think I'm missing something.

When I attempt to do a traceroute to an internal ip it fails.

911PSAP-5505# traceroute 192.255.255.13

Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to 192.255.255.13

1  68.213.181.241 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec
2  68.216.208.95 20 msec 10 msec 10 msec
3  68.152.198.81 10 msec 10 msec 10 msec
4  12.81.24.108 10 msec 10 msec 10 msec
5   *  *  *
6   *  *  *
7   *  *  *
8   *  *  *
9   *  *  *
10  *  *  *
11  *  *  *
12  *  *  *
13  *  *  *
14  *  *  *
15  *  *  *
16  *  *  *
17  *  *  *
18  *  *  *
19  *  *  *
20  *  *  *
21  *  *  *
22  *  *  *
23  *  *  *
24  *  *  *
25  *  *  *
26  *  *  *
27  *  *  *
28  *  *  *
29  *  *  *
30  *  *  *

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The tftp command is to specify the tftp server where the file will be retrieved from. ASA can't act as a TFTP server.

Are you trying to ping devices in the same subnet as your ASA interface? You might want to check the device firewall settings itself where sometimes it's not allowing inbound ping, so disabling firewall setting might resolve your ping test issue. If you try to ping a network device, like a switch or a router from the ASA, you might have better luck.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You might want to check that you have "icmp permit any " configured for the relevant interfaces where you are trying to ping from.

To check if you have the configuration or not: sh run icmp

With regards to TFTP, by default TFTP on the lowest security level interface is not allowed, unless you configure a TFTP interface as follows for example:

tftp-server

Hope that helps.

"icmp permit any "

Already in place

tftp-server

Does this refer to the server it will be retreiving the file from or just utilizing the ASA as the server?

The tftp command is to specify the tftp server where the file will be retrieved from. ASA can't act as a TFTP server.

Are you trying to ping devices in the same subnet as your ASA interface? You might want to check the device firewall settings itself where sometimes it's not allowing inbound ping, so disabling firewall setting might resolve your ping test issue. If you try to ping a network device, like a switch or a router from the ASA, you might have better luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card