Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Trunking between ESW520 & Cat 2950

Gokul Dev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have a cisco 2950 series which is already connected to my existing network.This switch is replicated with vlans from the core switch 3560 where the VLANs are configured.

The switch is in vtp client mode.All other switches in the existing corporate network are also cisco 29xx series.

We have a new office set up with cisco small business pro ESW 520 switches in this new premises.The ESW Pro is connected to the above mentioned 2950 using fiber optic cable.

I can see the switches each other as cdp neighbours in both the switches and from the switches, i can ping each other, but I am really stuck up in replicating vlans to the new ESW 520 series switches from the 2950.

The trunks configured are allowed for all vlans on the 2950 switch but none of the vlans are replicated to the esw 520 thrugh this trunk.

whats the procedure to get all the vlans in the 2950 switch replicated to the newly connected ESW 520 using the established fiber connectivity.

Thanks & Regards,

Gokul

7 Replies 7

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

It seems like ESW520 does not support VTP. You might have to configure the VLANs manually (add vlans) on the ESW switch.

Here is the switch administration guide for your reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/esw500/administration/guide/ESW_500_Administration_Guide.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

I have chekced the datasheets and the adtmin guide for the ESW520 switch and as you mentioned, nowhere the VTP is mentioned...

But if I configure the VLANs manually on this switch, tomorow any modification to the VLAN database will not reflect in this switch and I may have to manually do the changes in theese new switches...

So I think, its better for me to get a Catalyst series switch which will support VTP and can help us in the future expansions.. Please advice your thoughts on this..

Regards,

Gokul

Hello,

That is a good option. However, the decision to buy a different switch

should be dependant on the nature of your network. If your network is

changing constantly, then what you said would be a good option. However, if

the change is very minimal and the additions happen once in a lifetime, then

I think you could use the switch for the time being and cross the bridge

when you have to.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Hi,

The vlan additons are not very oftenly in the network. But there can be additonal switches in the network where the uplink will be from this switch and so on. So that time, I may have to do the vlan additons in those new switches also manually.

I am having 12 vlans in the network as of now and may not increase at regular intervals.

gokuldev_v wrote:

Hi,

The vlan additons are not very oftenly in the network. But there can be additonal switches in the network where the uplink will be from this switch and so on. So that time, I may have to do the vlan additons in those new switches also manually.

I am having 12 vlans in the network as of now and may not increase at regular intervals.

Gokul

Well like i say it's up to you really. If you make sure that the ESW520 is always at the "end" of the links then you won't have to worry about vlans on the other side of the switch

Either decision ie. replace or keep would not harm you much in your environment.

Jon

gokuldev_v wrote:

I have chekced the datasheets and the adtmin guide for the ESW520 switch and as you mentioned, nowhere the VTP is mentioned...

But if I configure the VLANs manually on this switch, tomorow any modification to the VLAN database will not reflect in this switch and I may have to manually do the changes in theese new switches...

So I think, its better for me to get a Catalyst series switch which will support VTP and can help us in the future expansions.. Please advice your thoughts on this..

Regards,

Gokul

Gokul

You are correct that if the ESW520 doesn't support VTP then any time you add a vlan to your other switch(es) then it will not get propogated to the 520. Whether you need a different switch depends really on how many vlans you intend to add on a daily/weekly basis. If the vlan database remains fairly static then do you really need to buy another switch ?

It's really up to you as to whether you want the extra convenience of having the vlans propogated to all your switches. Bear in mind that a lot of people actually disable VTP or rather make all switches transparent due to security/possible misconfiguration so don't automatically assume you will always want to run VTP Server/client.

Like i say, it's not going to be a big deal either way.

Jon

Hi All,

I have almost the same challenge.My switch is a 3560 switch which i connect to a new ESW 520.

Users connected to the ESW 520 need to be part of the vlans created on the 3560.

I have about 5Vlans on the 3560 switch.And i have configured vlan 300 as a voice vlan.

I observed that the ESW 520 switch is not getting the VLANS on the 3560 switch propagated to the systems connected to itself.

I also have a DHCP server connected to the 3560,but the users behind the ESW 520 cannot receive DHCP addresses.

Even after i configured this vlans manually on the ESW 520.It seems not to work.

And also,i couldnt change the default voice vlan on the ESW 520 which is Vlan 100 to the voice vlan 300 on the 3560 switch.

This is getting me thinking.

Anyone who can help.

I have read through the ESW admin guide and done all i was told to do in configuring the Vlans but they seem not to work.

I need help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card